Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brothers on the Berry - 11/10/2018
My brother and I were hankering for a fall Berry pole bend so we headed to the Renegade marina. Arrived at first light and were the second boat to launch.

The water temps hovered around 41° all day.

We started jigging 2.5" tube jigs tipped with chub out at points east of the marina and in the Meadows. It took a while to catch 5 each (way too long in my opinion). So we switched to trolling. On one line we had a gold Jake's Spin-A-Lure and on the other a white curly-tail grub. For every one the grub caught, the Jakes caught 4. I switched the grub line over to a Jakes and it was busy and doubles. But again, the trolling was catching mostly small fish. Since trolling just isn't as fun for us as jigging is, we decided to go try some jigging down in the bay N-W of the marina (by the way, what IS the name of that bay? Anyone?) We trolled that area until we found good marks on the sonar, stopped, and anchored up. The wind was starting to get kind of bad but we decided to try vertical jigging anyway. The wind and waves got so strong that it made it hard for us to keep our balance standing in the boat and the i-Pilot prop was out of the water as much as it was in the water. For three hours, the wind was cold and the waves were whitecaps. Our presentation was ridiculously radical but still, we had an absolute ball! Caught plenty of bigger fish and stayed busy doing it. Ended the day with 80 to 85 fish caught between the two of us … no slot busters though.

It is so fun down there this time of year, I am considering doing a two-day, back-to-back this next weekend.

--- Coot ---
[signature]
My bride and I were there on Fri. found that jigging we caught larger fish. Trolling we caught some that were good size but on average jigging fish were larger. Over deeper water 40' to 60' fish were smaller on average either way trolling or jigging. Just like usual some areas were better than others. First place we tried an old reliable in the fall did not produce one fish.

What depth were you finding fish where you were at?
[signature]
Are you talking about Indian Creek(northwest of marina)??
[signature]
Just wanted to chim in. Yes was awesome to say the least.
Good time fishing with my Brother, great intense fishing , must add, it has been a while since I had so much fun with poll bend after poll bend...
Great company, thanks Coot!! Great fighting the wind, the fish, the day was extremely fast... With I could bottle these kind of fishing days!
Another Memory made..... [Smile] I guess that's why Coot wants to attempt
a 2 day berry trip. This was the first time I had tried trolling with Jakes
On the Berry, will say, hit after hit, after hit, was faster than I was
Bargaining for. Got to love it!!! Wish I had time to go again! I needed
A great day on the Berry, And this one was awesome.

Thanks Brother for the memory.
[signature]
You may be referring to Bryants Fork bay or was it closer to the marina? Bryants Fork is North West of the marina just north of East Portal. I go there with my kick boat and sometimes do really well.

I enjoyed hearing your story with your brother. A week ago I went to the meadows with my buddy and I was exhausted after 3 hours of non stop action. There was no one to drive the boat!!! Crazy.

More mems.
[signature]
Yes muskycoop, that is the bay I am referring to. It is the bay that Indian Creek and Squaw Creek feed into directly west of the Renegade ramp. According to the "FISH-N-MAP CO" map, that whole side of the lake that includes the marina, Renegade Point, Horse Creek, and the Meadows all comprise "INDIAN CREEK BAY". But since the actual old Indian Creek is the main contributor to that little bay directly N-W of the ramp, I will refer to it from now on as "Indian Creek".

Thanks ...
[signature]