Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Perch Search 11-14-18
[#0000ff]Figgered the water temp might have dropped a tad and the perch might be moving in around the north marina more. Also thought the cooler water might slow down the rambunctious kitties. I ain't very good at figgerin' I guess.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Air temp at 7:15 launch was 24. Needed all my layers and my "Hot Hands" warmers. Water temp was 43. Glad I had my Heat Holder socks...and even then my tootsies got cooler than usual.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The day started off according to my mental script. Just got a flig and minnow out and was setting up the second rod when the first one bounced a couple of times. Very uncatlike. Set the hook into a nice footlong perchie. Oh yeah. Looked like it was gonna be a bananner perch day. WRONG.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Between that first perch...and the second one that came at about 10:30...the pesky kitties wouldn't leave me alone. Even got a double once. Probably got around a dozen all together, but only kept the first five for a fish fry. My neighbor has been whining for some more fried catfish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The second perch came after missing several other perchlike pecks in a row. Finally sunk the hook and brought up a 13 incher to match the one I got in the same area last week. Whoopee. A 2 perch day. At least I doubled last week.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had downsized tackle...small fligs and small minnows...expressly to tempt perch rather than cats. Even put down a little sign saying "Perch Only...No Cats Allowed." I forgot that cats do not hang out in schools and probably never learned to read. Anyway, the downsized gear and the sign didn't slow 'em down at all. And even the 43 degree water mattered not. They still hit hard and fought hard. Silly fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff] [#0000ff]Weather was fantastic all morning. But only one boat went out after I launched. Almost made the lake seem crowded. Almost.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Didn't see my little herd of deer today, but almost bumper-bagged a small 3-point as I was driving in past the campground area. Didn't have my tag so I passed up the shot.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very nice on Perch. I believe we were the one boat you saw launch new ride first time on water. I wasn’t sure if that was you so we didn’t visit. I don’t want to get close or bother another angler on accident. That was us maiden voyage on boat. Spent 2 hours on West side breaking in main engine varying power every 10 minutes then full throttle for 1 minute.

Have a few things to tweak will be breaking in kicker in a few days. It was a great day cool but fun. Sorry we didn’t say hello unsure and I keep distance with other Anglers and nice haul on tasty Perch
[signature]
[#0000FF]Well, I guess it was nice to share the water with you again...even if neither of us knew it.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I'm sorry you didn't come by to say howdy but do appreciate your considerations. Far too many rude watercraft operators (of all ilks) on our waters these days who seem to care only about their own enjoys.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Congrats on your new ride. Hope you get it broke in right and that you get many hours of good fishing in it.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Those perch were puny compared to the beasts you get at Cascade. But not many bigger ones available in Utah these days.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Just finishing up the new "flig-glows" and will be getting some to you soon.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Glofligs?
[signature]
I'm glad you had another good outing! Thanks for the report and pictures.

If you double your perch score each outing, your going to have a bunch soon.

It sounds like downsizing your offerings for perch my have pleased the cats as well.

BTW, the air and water temps were below my trip when you said I was hardcore[Wink] At lease you didn't fall in though.
[signature]
Sounds like a good trip Pat.... I seen the improving temps and no wind forecast for yesterday and wondered if I'd see a report from you... Yup sure enough, I'm starting to see the kind of days you like to fish... Looks like it was a really good one to... Congrats... J
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Glofligs?[/quote]

[#0000FF]Why not?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Had some flig fans request making mini models with glow for ice fishing. I think they will work well both as droppers above heavier jigs or spoons...and when rigged dropshot style with a sinker on the bottom.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Been thinking about adding some glow to a few of the larger models too...for night fishing.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
"It sounds like downsizing your offerings for perch my have pleased the cats as well."

[#0000FF]Ain't no big surprise. Cats...as well as the other predators...tend to downsize their eating habits as their metabolism drops in colder water. Over the years I have caught some of my biggest fish...of all species...on small jigs during the coldest days of autumn.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The attached is a pic of a 10# cat and a 7# walleye. Both were caught in late November on a small jig being fished for crappies.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hardcore? Yeah, I have done some rash and foolish stuff in the name of enjoys. Been knowed to break my way out through early ice to reach open water, etc. But I have never had to do it without waders.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That is a great picture, thanks for sharing! I can tell it was a LONG time ago. The fish, the rod, the shortage of PVC customization, and the tube itself. You have come a long way since then[Wink]

Funny, that tube looks a lot like the antique I still use when I don't take my boat out.
[signature]
Very nice perch just needed a few more to play. Looks like you are still doing well on the cats at willard. I was busy having cataracts removed. Glad someone was having fun.
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is an old Insul-Dri tube...early 1980s. One of the three or four earliest models I bought...after I quit making my own in the early days. Sadly, like several other early entrants into the float tube market, they did not have enough anglers buying their products and faded away.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Yeah, verily. My float tubing path has been long and I have progressed much in my tubology. Do you know how many PVC trees have had to die to supply my addiction?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I think you would be properly appreciative of the enhancements available on modern craft. Most allow you to sit higher...up out of the water. And most have lots of D rings and storage pockets for attachments and carry-ons. Of course I doubt that any of the manufacturers had any idea how far to the extreme I would take those things.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]As the water warms a bit next year, lemme know if you would like to take a walk (swim) on the wild side and try out some "new and improved".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote fish_fear_me2]Very nice perch just needed a few more to play. Looks like you are still doing well on the cats at willard. I was busy having cataracts removed. Glad someone was having fun.[/quote]
[#0000FF]Yeah, the perch were piggies, but it would have been nice to add a few to the basket. Haven't had any good numbers trips for a couple of years.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It almost gets monotonous catching all those cats at Willard...ALMOST. But it is always better to catch a few kitties than smell skunk. Can't say the same thing for trout. I'll accept their invitation to play but much prefer catching almost anything else.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope the surgery went well and that you don't get any complications. I'm sure you will be happy with the improved vision. I had mine done a few years ago and really appreciated the difference afterward.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hi Kim,
Is your new kicker fuel injected?
I put the Suzuki 9.9 EFI on my boat and not having a choke is priceless. Hit the starter button and it fires immediately and doesn't miss a beat.
Congrats on the new rig!
Shane
[signature]
Quote:As the water warms a bit next year, lemme know if you would like to take a walk (swim) on the wild side and try out some "new and improved".

That sound like fun. I think I'm almost ready for the water to warm already. Almost
[signature]
Hello TD and thank you as your jigs have put some nice Cascade Perch on the deck including you have an following with a dear friend and his wife who visited you a year or so ago to get some trinkets as I donated to them that same year and Richard was awe struck including put some nice ones on the deck with your baits.

Again thank you and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and your entire family.

Sincerely,
K2
[signature]