Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 Days fishing Mexico
Just returned from an 8 day fishing trip in Zihuatanejo, Mexico my 4th trip South of the border this year. The short video depicts the extraordinary fishing we experienced for marlin, sailfish, dorado, tuna and other species from these nutrient-rich tropical waters.

https://youtu.be/Hij1d2bcTBI
[signature]
I recently had a half-day trip out of Roatan Honduras. On the Atlantic side, the bottom drops from 50 feet to abyss only 300 yards off the beach. We were trolling five minutes after we left the dock, and had a triple on almost immediately. Best fish of the trip was a 36-pound wahoo.

I'd love to go again.
[signature]
Awesome video. Thanks!
[signature]
Looks like a great trip!!
[signature]
What were you doing in Honduras?
The two fish i had on my wish list for this trip were Wahoo and Rabalo (snook) and I didn't catch either. However since we did catch lots of billfish, tuna and Dorado the trip must be considered a great success.
Not catching either of the targeted species gives me an excuse to return to Mexico. Not that I need much of an excuse.Next scheduled trip is to Magdalena Bay on the Baja in early March.
I'm delighted that you caught a Wahoo. Congratulations.
[signature]
I was on a cruise for a military reunion. I didn't get the wahoo, unfortunately. It was the guy ahead of me in the fishing rotation who got it. He turned out to have a heart condition and begged several times to have somebody else (me) take over but the deck hand refused to let him quit. They had to pour water on him and he darn near passed out with the effort. Could've killed him, in fact.

I got a blackfin and a decent 'cuda, though.

The crew kept the blackfins, the barracuda, and (I suspect) the good parts of the wahoo. They fried up some of the wahoo and one other fish I can't recall for us after we docked. The unknown one was a lot better than the wahoo's dark meat.

If you ever have an empty seat, let me know.
[signature]
I'm going to Rocky point in 10 days. That's in the sea of cortez. Never been there does anyone have some advice ?
Going to charter a day. What fish are around in December?
[signature]
The waters in the north end of the Sea of Cortez are too cold right now for the pelagic species ( Billfish, Tuna and dorado) and Rocky Point is on the extreme North end of the Sea of Cortez. However, the fishing for other species should be good.

The weather should be good and the offseason for the boats should make bartering for a reduced rate possible. Don't accept the first price given to you. A web search for Puerto Penasca Fishing will give you an idea about the boats, captains and species available. enjoy yourself.

You might want to try fishing aboard a Mexican Panga. I prefer them over a big cruiser at twice the money, but there are advantages to a cruiser especially if you have women or children with you. Catching fish is a bonus. I hope you enjoy your trip. Viva fishing Mexico!
[signature]
[#0000ff]When I lived in Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix), I spent a lot of time along the Sea of Cortez. Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) was within 4 hours drive and the fishing was great. Not uncommon to get 20 or more species in a day...during spring, summer and fall. If you go in December you will likely be fishing deep for assorted bottom fish. Not glamorous but great eating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My wife and I loved to float tube out off Pelican Point. Lots of US citizens have vacation homes out there and most local businesses habla Ingles and take US currency.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you go out on a boat you will be leaving from the harbor area, right in town. Lots of old shrimp boats and some navy craft there, as well as the fishing boats. I have a bunch of pictures on a slide show from the area and would be glad to show them to you...and talk local fishing...if you'd like to come over.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am planning two trips to Mexico in the next six months; one to Magdalena Bay on the Pacific side of the Baja, North of Cabo and the other back to Zihuatanejo which is my favorite location in Mexico and one of the worlds great fisheries. Both offer unparalleled fishing for Billfish, Dorado and Tuna.

These are all-inclusive fishing trips including R/T airfare from SLC. Ground transportation, Hotels, Boats for 4 days of fishing, licenses, taxes. The complete package. You can expect to catch all of the species mentioned above and more. Depending on the cost of airfare when the trips are booked the cost will be about $1,900 per person, double occupancy. 8 Day trip. All veterans receive a special discount.

I know and have fished with the captains I use many times over the years and they are the best available.

The hotels I use are 3 and 4-star facilities that I have stayed at and have negotiated special pricing because I am there frequently with fishermen.

If you have any interest in joining me for a trip of a lifetime let me know and I will get you more information. warmest Regards, Steve

I don't know what happened to your Wahoo. It is one of the best-eating fish that swims. The Hawaiians call it Ono, meaning number one. I prefer it raw, eaten fresh on the boat with soyu and wasabi. Your Honduran crew probably didn't know how to prepare it. Hondurans are not known for their culinary skills but they know how to catch fish.
[signature]
Those trips sound fabulous. Please put me on your short list of "via con amigos" willya?
[signature]
I just got back from Mexico also! My style of fishing is a little different though and the 2 hour drive inland from Los Mochis was interesting. Good times and great weather. I'm already missing it.
Everyone should experience a fishing trip to Mexico.
[signature]