Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Hunter
Alright guys I am a little embarrased to say this but I am 41 and new to hunting. I have wanted to learn to hunt for some time but between deployments and other travel it took a back seat.
I always looked at it as one of those things I can't really learn on my own. So I have my hunters safety and hunting license. My friend took me on his Elk hunt in Idaho as a non shooter. All I learned is those suckers are hard to find. I did have my shotgun with me though and was able to bag my first animal. I shot and ate a ruffed grouse.
I'd like to get into some grouse or maye pheasant here before the season ends. Does anyone actually go out just for grouse? I live up in Farr West/North Ogden. Where would be a good place to go find them?
Thanks in advance.

Ryan
[signature]
Welcome to one of the best hobbies on the planet. Now to find grouse you need to go where the quaking aspen mingle with the pines and finding berries is a plus. The dusky grouse will be high up on top of the ridges this time of year. And the Ruffs will be lower closer to creeks and rivers. Good luck.
[signature]
If Pheasants interest you there seems to be some close options to Farr West at HAROLD S. CRANE WMA - you might need steel shot but the season is open to the first of Dec.

Pheasant Release Map
[url "https://utahdnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=69f779caa7994844985a0280118029a3"]https://utahdnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=69f779caa7994844985a0280118029a3[/url]

Good Luck - hope you bag a couple - great eating!
[signature]
Never be ashamed of becoming a hunter. Its as natural as anything we do as a species. I tip my hat to ya sir. Another option is chuckars. They love arid areas and are in many places toward grouse creek and the west desert where I live. Find rocky, steep slopes and they love cheat grass. I love eating chuckars and they are better than pheasant and maybe tie with blue grouse as my favorite. There are many groups you can associate with to keep gaining experience and knowledge about hunting. The Mule Deer Foundation, Rocky Mnt Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, SFW, ect. all offer ways to rub shoulders with folks who love to hunt and are usually willing to share. Best of luck to you. Feel free to PM me. I live in Tooele County but would love to share what little I know.
[signature]
Thanks for that advice. Sounds like I need to get out and do some hiking.
[signature]
Great link. I'm right by there. I'll go check it out.

Thank you
[signature]
Thank you for that info. I'm not ashamed of becoming a hunter. Just that it took me so long to do it. Growing up my Dad took me fishing and camping but spent most of the time working. I was in Iowa too, knowing more now I was in white tail heaven. My Mom can agree with that. She's hit so many of them. HAHA. Anyways thank you for the advice. I just need to get out and figure things out. Luckily an old friend form when I first joined the AF and then later he was my boss here, still lives here. He's originally from Idaho so he took me hunting up there. Idaho has a great deal for disabled vets I am throughly impressed.
[signature]
Idaho does have a good deal on hunting license and certain big game tags for non resident vets who have 40% or more. I can actually hunt cheaper there than I can here as a resident.
[signature]
This year since it was my first year hunting my license in Idaho was only $1.75. You can't beat that at all. And with the tags so low how could you not hunt there? I think it's great. Just another thing to like about Idaho.
[signature]
This time of year the blue (dusky) grouse are in the firs. The currants are gone as are the grasshoppers. When you clean them this time of year their crops are crammed with fir needles. Look for them up high in the dark timber. Be sure to check when the season ends.

Another option would be duck hunting. If someone could take you out jump shooting it would be a lot of fun, and that way you don't have to have a bunch of decoys. Besides, they're a lot easier to hit when they jump up off the water than when they are barreling by at 40 mph.

Be sure to put in for the draws for next year. That's coming up in January. Deer are not as hard as elk and you could easily draw your first year. Talk to everyone you can and you'll find hunters that are happy to help you.

Good luck. You'll have a blast (pun intended [laugh]).
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I see them on the sardine trail by Snow Basin (upper wheeler drainage).There are a few in North Fork. Both of these area also hold a bunch of turkeys. Powder Mountain has so many that you could run them over on a bike. Unfortunately I think Powder Mountain is all private property.
[signature]
I mountain bike in all these places. I guess I need to start paying attention. I usually only have one thing on my mind.... breathe fatty!!
[signature]