Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold water survival....'tis the season.
Hey guys,

With the whitefish spawn up here at Bear Lake about to kick off and a few other big lakes like Flaming Gorge and others being open to boating, I thought I'd share a few tips to survival in the event that you suddenly find yourselves in the drink during cold weather and water. This advice comes from years of boat rescue and ice rescue training and real world rescue experience.

First of all, some basic common sense items like putting your cell phone in a waterproof ziplock baggie (or two) can enable you to make a phone call for help while in water and the signal can be pinged to help rescuers locate you if you are incapacitated. Second, a good PFD at all times is crucial.....wear it, and third, let someone know exactly where you'll be and when you will be done.

Beyond that, there are other things that up your odds in the event of finding yourself in the drink. For example, take near shore routes to your fishing spot and always keep an exit strategy in mind....even if that means ramming your 80,000 dollar alumiweld boat up on shore in the event of severe waves and wind. It's not worth your life to chance it!

Most people think that if they end up in water between 33-40 degrees that they will quickly die of hypothermia. I'm here to tell you that that is not the case. In 32.5 degree water you will not even begin to hit hypothermic 1st stage for at least a half hour. You body is excellent at shunting blood to your core and keeping you alive, so you have some time.

The big killer, and I'm talking about over 50 percent of the cases is what is called "cold water incapacitation". This is the real killer. Only about 15% of cold water deaths are due to hypothermia, but drowning and even cardiac arrhythmia can and do result from the instant immersion in cold water. Your natural reaction is to take a few big gasps when you go in and that is often enough to start the drowning process. You limbs will be spastic and due to the body shunting blood from the extremities to its core your limbs will be slow to react....but they can react! The secret is to try not to gasp if possible and immediately try to get calm. Calm will save you (as long as you are wearing your PFD). Get your head about you. Try to see if it is possible to get to shore.

Once you are in the water, make a plan. Doing something is better than doing nothing. Remember that cell phone in a ziplock baggie? If you are where there is signal try a call to 911. I have responded to those calls from people in the water and can assure you that rescuers are able to find you quicker with your guidance. In the event that it doesn't look likely that you will get help soon then get to shore by swimming. Sounds obvious, but some people just sit and wait thinking that they will be found. I'm here to tell you it isn't that easy, so only stay put if you can crawl up on a capsized boat or you know that help is on its way.

Once you ARE rescued or on shore, lay pretty still and just try to conserve heat. Just because you are out of the water doesn't mean you are out of the woods yet. The longer you have been in the water the more possible it is that you could suffer from what is called Circum-Rescue Collapse. Circum -Rescue Collapse happens when you are either jostled around to much or moved to a upright position, or try to walk around to get warm. Your heart is cold and can't switch speeds to keep up with the additional blood flow that you body needs when it starts to move around, so the cold blood in your extremities has no chance to gradually warm up and when that cold blood reaches your heart it can cause you to go into ventricular fibrillation or cardiac arrest. This is a real killer, so if you are rescued or have to do a self rescue you must try to warm up and move gradually until a doctor tells you it's safe to resume activity. Usually a period of several hours are required.

There are several ways to die in cold water, but in summary remember the obvious safety gear like your PFD and a way to communicate or signal for help, keep calm and don't panic upon immersion, make a plan, and again keep calm. You WILL NOT DIE OF HYPOTHERMIA in less than an hour, but if you don't keep your head you WILL die of cold water incapacitation or drowning if you DO panic.

Let's be safe this winter and if your up at Bear Lake I hope I don't get to see you unless it's as I'm swapping fish tales, tips, and stories!

Mike
[signature]
Thanks for the tips and insight. I hope I don’t need to use this info but if something happens it’s good stuff to know.
[signature]
Thanks Mike, that is great info to know... I've been surprised when I've gotten wet cisco fishing in the waves and I really didn't freeze as bad as I thought I would, so these are great tips to pass along, like you say keeping your head about you is key to surviving a bad situation... Thanks for the heads up... J
[signature]
Yup, feeling cold and actuall hypothermia are two different monsters. In the water rescue world it is said that the only people that will die of hypothermia are the ones with a PFD because it is IMPOSSIBLE to get to the hypothermic stage without a floatations device. You'll simply drown first long before that ever happens, so that is why a PFD is so important.....it buys time for us to find you.

Mike
[signature]
Thanks Mike! Good to know and hope I never need it but you never know. I didn't even think about the phone double bagged. I will use that from here on out. You may have saved someone just by posting all this good info. Probably see you up there soon if the weather cooperates.
[signature]
Great post! Thanks!

I also carry an extra set of boots and clothes. Take off wet clothes and put on dry clothes after you get out of the water or having fallen through the ice.

I carry a SPOT satellite device that works even out of cell phone range.
[signature]