Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Ice Prediction
Ok clear your calendars for December 7th, my crystal ball says fishable ice on Mantua that weekend. We’ll see you there. Later J
[signature]
Thanks. Can you see me landing an 18" bass on there?[Wink]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]What? You're gonna attack Mantua on Pearl Harbor Day. Seems kinda unpatriotic. Hope you don't bomb out.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Might be an appropriate day to nippon over.
[signature]
Although I don’t fish Mantua, my bet is December 5th.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
It was actually 6 blue gill, two nice trout and an 8” bass. But hey not too bad of an outing. Remember to switch to the gizzy bug early. Later J
[signature]
First ice I agree, but safe fishing ice will be Friday. At least for me, I have to work the weekdays to Friday. Later J
[signature]
Nice, don’t need any torpedoes either they would be rough on thin ice. Hope the wind will stay mostly calm so I don’t have to push out the predictions. Later J
[signature]
Any idea how the bluegill are looking for the ice season?
[signature]
"Might be an appropriate day to nippon over."

I love a good pun.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Well the gills and bass will push my species count to 12 for this year and make a good start in the contest.[cool]
[signature]

I’m sorry I haven’t been there since last ice season so I don’t know how the gill have held up through the low water, but my guess would be they will be some of the best in the area. Perch were thinly scattered but gaining size and might rival Willard’s this year so I’m hoping it will be a good opening week or two until the rest of the ponds start capping. Always draws a crowd, but most usually catch some fish and some do real well for size. Looks of the weather report I think my prediction is very possible. Later J
[signature]
That's a good mix for the year... now they all count through the ice for another species for the contest tally... Good luck... J
[signature]
I was able to fish mantua 3 times in the last week and a half and the perch fishing was great, however we did not touch one single bluegill. From the looks of things and the amount of Pelicans I seen up there, I would say the bluegill are hatin it this year. Also caught one trout in three days that was 13 inches but wasn't really targeting them. I think mantua will be tuff fishing for most anglers this year. Just my opinion
[signature]
I think you know far better than I, other than I do have a great crystal ball... Do you fish the ice up there? I'd like to join you sometime, always fun to fish with those that know the game well... sometimes it's pretty frustrating too... Thanks for the input on the thread... J
[signature]
I think that's gonna be a pretty close prediction there Jeff. It was about 50% iced yesterday and today the snowfall had turned the top 1-2" to slush the whole lakeover. As you said if the wind stays down with the low temps in the upcoming forecast it should be ice on. I think its gonna be a good year for perch there.
[signature]
Guess I could sacrifice a nice bluegill for a few nice perch...be nice to see a good perch year again...maybe even pull a catfish out of the ice this season....Anybody know .... do the catfish prey on the perch and bluegill young?
[signature]
Hey thanks for the vote of confidence. I think it’s a pretty good prediction. If anything it may be late a few days for the early ice crew. I think some will fish it a couple days before then. Temps look great for ice building so I expect it will get started soon. Keep the W away. Later J
[signature]
Shucks, if it's capped and the first step doesn't crack, it's fishable. I'm thinking the 5th at the lastest.
[signature]
I'm thinking that if the ice is marginal, and I just can't wait, I'll wear my chest waders and fish in no more than 4 fow.
[signature]