Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interest Level in Ice Expo type event
So I've been kicking around an idea that would have been very valuable to me a couple years back, but it didn't exist at the time, but I'm wondering if it would be useful enough to enough members that it would be worth putting something together... I mean it's a lot of work so I don't want to start down this road unless there is a big strong interest level in it...

What I am thinking is putting together an ice fishing show and tell event when we could set up our equipment at a state park or some agreed upon lake. The idea would be to allow members or others to come by and learn about ice fishing and the technology that is available, and try things out before you buy. For instance have one area where you could try a gas auger, vs hand auger, vs electric auger. Maybe another area to see the different type fish finders that are available and show folks what they actually are like on a lake, so maybe set up over a perch pile and then let your jigs down and show folks how the perch come up off the bottom to look at your jigs and take them... then an area with the different shelters and clothing that's available.... Very possible we could get some great help from our sponsors and make this go... Would have to be the early part of January so we knew we'd still have ice, but I wish I could have compared the different gear before I bought so I didn't get some of the stuff I don't like... Anyway let me know your thoughts... Later J
[signature]
Sounds like a great idea to me. I'd attend.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Excellent! Let's make it an epic event that will become more and more popular each year!

We have the topic of "How close is too close?" come up from time to time often with the merits of solitude being discussed.

But, in sharp contrast, I like to fish with others! Here's the link to my post on our most recent of those conversations where I share my ideas on that along with invitations:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ag;#992683

In that post, we discussed respect of desired solitude and one thing that was unresolved was how can one know if being social would be desired? An Exposition is an excellent answer to that! People who set up to fly fish at what will be a big event will obviously want to fish with others around. Those who go off far can get desired solo fishing that way.

We can make the ice fishing exposition fun for those considering getting into ice fishing. I'm fine with others seeing and using my fish finder, augers, extra fishing equipment and even food. It makes good sense. For example, I had no idea a Nils auger would work so smooth and easy because my previous experience with a manual auger was that it was impractical or perhaps dull. But, after buying one I found out what I was missing. For fish finders, buying to find out what you like can get expensive especially if you decide to upgrade a few times. I found it's cheaper to just get the expensive one from the start.

I can bring my propane tank and burner and fryer and we can filet and fry fish. Others might prepare some of their specialties. Those who have extras of folding tables and chairs or even buckets to sit on might bring those.

Sounds fun! I'm in! Let's do it!

Ronald Smile
Thanks Craig and Ron, glad I’m not the only one. J
[signature]
I would be glad to help out with this event
[signature]
What locations would you consider?
[signature]
Something like this would be awesome. I really could have used something like this a few years ago. I have most the gear I need now but always need to gain some more knowledge.
[signature]
Locations is a great question, I know it needs to be somewhat close to the Wasatch front so as many can come as possible, however, I think it needs to be somewhere that we can guarantee fairly early ice so the vendors get some bang for their buck if they choose to sponsor deals and help out... I wonder if Mantua would work? It's closer to populations, easy to get to and doesn't charge a parking fee... But fishing is usually slow after the first few weeks... But it would be a good perch gill location so you could probably show how the tools work... What are your thoughts? Thanks Jeff
[signature]
if its at Mantua I surly could make that.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Isn't that the truth, I think this is a time we can give back and help others and I'll bet ya we end up finding new stuff to us as well. I'd like to get a Panoptics demo set up so we can see the new wave in future sonars and start saving for the new breakthrough... As you can tell this can turn into a big wide open event that could be really cool, but it's a lot bigger than I can handle alone. If we decide to kick this off I will need to rely on a lot of our members that know far more than I and would be willing to come teach others... I think it would be fun, but a lot of work and I'm not sure how to do it so we get a chance to go learn from others and not be tied to our area all day... Things to think about, and I'm open to suggestions... Thanks J
[signature]
You have read my mind and are exactly what we need if we are going to try this. With your help and other members on here, I think we can put on something that will be very valuable to the fishing community in general... I think it will benefit the vendors, state and the fishermen. I think this has a promise of being a pretty big event and a lot of fun... If we decide to do it, we have got a lot to do quick to make it happen... So pass this idea around your fiends and give us a gage of interest and lets decide on it next week. If it's a go, I'll contact the Fish and Game, State Parks and start working on our great sponsor vendors that have donated so much to help us out with contests... I think they might be able to offer show discounts that will make their gear a little more affordable and at the same time, they will sell a lot more and have less to close out at the end of the season... We'll set up a loose planning group on the forum and reach out for food vendors and such so we make this a fun thing for families as well... Not state parks make this type event a pain in the rear because of all their fees and regs, so maybe Mantua might be a good spot... Anyone know the Mantua city folks that we could find out what they might require??? Later J
[signature]
Hey John I'm liking Mantua, and I think the weekend after New Years would be the best time to make sure we have safe ice and not too much slush yet... Probably be cold, but would help sell tents and heaters.... At this point the vendors have passed their big sales periods and may be more willing to cut some discounts to make some sales in the slow time of the year... Just second guessing things... This is also in a time when our contest isn't as pressed as it gets later in the year.. Thanks for the support... J
[signature]
Of course it depends on when and where and a million other factors but this interests me and would be great for someone like me that has never done ice fishing and needs some pointers.
[signature]
Not nearly enough parking at Mantua. You need a large parking lot like Starvation or Strawberry. Even Schofield has more parking and more room than Mantua.
[signature]
Hey Jeff, I also like this idea alot....and I think Mantua would be a great place to start....accessible, not too far for alot of the members, it's got some fish, retail snacks and drinks and stuff available right there, good parking on the main front (beach) side of the pond....I think there'd be interest in tech, tactics, lures, rods, different reels, 'automatic' hook setters, shelters, heaters, special ice fishing clothing, safety gear, and of course, ice fishing food/snacks/drinks....if it's safe, maybe someone could even have a snowmobile out there to show how that's an advantage....I'd be there, and I'd help where I could, if needed....or I'd just demonstrate my superior ice fishing tactics...ya, right!.....Guluk...
[signature]
Jeff, I share your enthusiasm also with the belief that it will be BIG … so big that we should consider a place with a lot of parking and either a non-challenging walk for novices or someone nice enough to shuttle the less athletic with a snowmobile.

I know an organizational way to make it less hectic for too few of us being shared by otherwise too many there to learn. We could lay out a path from one of us to another with brightly colored paracord and a bell every five minutes for our guests to get a five minute presentation at each station and then move onto the next to get variety from all of our different ways and different equipment.

We're into contests, so here's a contest idea with a twist. We can compete for our guests to be the ones to catch the fish, so those of us who are best at teaching our best techniques would have a greater advantage for winning with only fish caught by our guests counting. Cheating in the form of first showing them how to jig with the right motion or to set the hook might be allowed provided that it is to show them first for them to try to duplicate the same next and the fish just wasn't paying attention to who was holding the rod. Perhaps they can reel up the fish that demonstrated the effectiveness of the hook set technique of the teachers among us.

Those concepts would likely go far to entice equipment manufacturers and sellers to participate because they would be interested in the ice fishing market expanding with new people who will be needing to buy equipment once they become "hooked" on ice fishing.

Likewise, the participation of equipment manufacturers and sellers will do a lot to make our event attractive to a LOT of people considering getting into ice fishing.

Ronald Smile
Not sure there is as much parking at Strawberry as there is at Mantua, if we're thinking of the same place. Unless you are only thinking of the parking by the boat ramp and not around the lake as well. I know location is critical to attendance and I know for Utah county those areas would make a much better draw, however, it limits the north enders that wouldn't attend being that far south.. I know Mantua does the same thing for south enders too, so not sure what the best spot would be. I do know that Mantua is a lot less difficult to get to and not as remote of area as the Berry, so I think it would be easier for beginners to access. Too bad that we don't have a good central location that freezes early and is easy access. I know we will have a hard time pleasing all with the location, but we'll try to do the best we can... J
[signature]
Appreciate your support and I think families like yours would be a big reason we would like to do this. Ice fishing can be a great family activity and doesn't have to cost too much, its a good get the kids away from the electronics activity and connect with nature and each other deal... Plus it lets you feel like you've accomplished something if you can catch a nice batch of fish... Thanks.. J
[signature]
I like this idea alot. I keep seeing all these ice shows back east. I would definitely help out where I could.
[signature]
Thanks Ryan,
I'm the same way, would love to hit Minneapolis this weekend, but that's not an option for me, but would be fun if we could get at least a small show here and I think if it were on the pond so you can actually see how things work, then it would be ten times better...Who knows maybe we'll set a new trend at least for a small market like we are out west... Thanks for the support... J
[signature]