Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mill Hollow 12/1 FANTASTIC trip
This was my last free Saturday before my foot surgery that takes me out for rest of the season so I wanted a good adventure.
I loaded my snow machine and fish hut and left my house a little after 6:00 a.m. and headed for Mill Hollow.
I got to the Mill Hollow trailhead and only one truck was ahead of me but they were just joy riding snowmobiles, not fishing. Parking is tight.
The drive to the Lake was very pleasant with 14" of fresh snow on top of about a 10" base.
Driving down to the Lake I was greeted with a horrible amount of slush so those of you that are heading up there soon be very prepared.
I drilled the 1st hole in 8.9' of water and had 1st fish on within 60 seconds.
I never moved from that hole and caught brookies,bows, and Tigers.
I used a number 3 pimple with an ice fly under it tipped with crawler.
From noon until one was crazy with the Tigers and it was fish after fish.
I quit Fishing promptly at 1:30 in order to fight the slush out to head back to my truck.
I ended the day with at least 30 or 35 fish, maybe even more, it was a fantastic day of fishing.
Sorry about the picture quality, I was fishing on my own and had to do double duty as fisherman and camera man.
Only one other gentleman and his grandson on the Lake with me the entire time.
Caught a bow with somebody else's chartreuse pimple in its lip and then lost my fly on the very next hookset. Karma…..
Enjoy the rest of the season for me.
[signature]
Looks like you had a fantastic time. Too bad you’re done for the season. My first trip will be next week and I can’t decide on Mill Hollow or Scofield.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Great report and pics Shane, sounds like my first trip up there last year but we were able to drive right up to the lake. It does not sound like that slush is fun to fish in, were you standing in slush the entire time? Do you think you could drive up to the lake in a 4x4 truck?
[signature]
Hi Curt.
Way to much snow this year to drive in with a truck.

Once on the ice I drove my machine back and forth a few times to smash the snow down so I had a pretty good base to fish on.
Even with smashing it down I had to tread lightly but I came home dry.

If you take a snowmobile just park on an established track and be prepared to power out.

The lake might have been rising slightly as the edges had the worst slush.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Shane, sounds like I missed my window to hit it this year, guess I'll have to wait a little longer to hit my first ice of the season.
[signature]
So happy you had such success and jealous, too. I am now seriously considering getting a snowmobile now. How thick was the ice anyway?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hey Shane, glad you got a good trip in. Sounds like fun. Good luck this week with the operation and start of the recovery. Be thinking of you. Later Jeff
[signature]
10" ice with slush and snow on top.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Hopefully with the cooler temps this week the slush will freeze up!
[signature]
Hey, good report and pics, and glad you had a safe and successful trip...I'd be glad to keep your transport machine tuned up for you while you're side-lined (JAJ)...that's a sweet set up, and hope you're back in the game soon....Guluk..
[signature]
Thanks for that info. It sounds like there must have been good ice for some time already. I'm determined to get up there before it's snowed in next year for sure. And I wasn't kidding about getting a snowmobile. Anyone know of a good one for sale?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

KSL.
Get air cooled and long track if possible.
Tough to beat an old Phazer or old Indy for ice fishing.
Phazers are only about 380 lbs and an Indy is not much more than that.
An old Bravo is flat out awesome for fishing but very tough to find.
[signature]
Craig there are a lot of good sleds on KSL for sale, the snowmobile industry took a major shift in designs in the early 2000's so there are a lot of the old conventional type sleds for sale that are great for ice fishing, but not so good for snowmobile riding (compared to the new design), so they are selling for probably a lot less than they are really worth. So you can get a very good reliable snowmobile for around a $1000 or less. Depending on your exposure to them and ability with working on two stroke motors, will probably change which sleds I recommend. I used to be a hill climber, so I like a little higher performance machine than what I need to ice fish with, so I like the Ski Doo Summits or Polaris 700 Indy's but these sleds can be a little tricky to start and keep running. They do great, but I usually have to mess with them to keep them purring... If you don't like working on stuff, then try one of the regular trail machines, electric start is nice and a wide track to keep up your flotation... They make the utility sleds with high low ranges and wide tracks that would make an ideal ice sled for fishing, but they aren't as much fun to ride for fun... I think the Bearcat is one utility model and I forget what the Polaris utility is called, but I've seen both of these type sleds or KSL this fall for around $800 and they didn't have very many hours or miles on them... So see what you can find and I'll tell you a lie about it after to talk you into it, if you want.. Good luck.. J
[signature]
Yeah I've been about half way through KSL mainly just to get some idea of the price range per year. We had a snowmobile on the ranch back in the '70s but I'm not a great mechanic. My brother was always fooling with the carburetor or one thing or another. All I need is a basic machine that will get me a couple of miles out and then back again reliably. About what year should I be looking for?
[signature]

It’s going to depend from machine to machine but I’m looking at the sleds around 97-03. They seem to hit my price point and are still good runners but I’ve seen very clean older ones as well and total junker 03’s so look things over close and don’t be in a hurry to buy one if it doesn’t seem right. There will be six others show up the next day. It’s really a buyers market on these older sleds with more supply than demand. Good luck. J
[signature]
I found a package deal: two sleds, trailer. power auger, shelter, etc. I couldn't get a link but the ad title is:

2 snowmobiles and trailer or full ice fishing pkg

Could you check it out and let me know what you think? If the snowmobiles are worth $500 each and the trailer $300 then the total would be at least $2200 value used. The stuff is all two years old.
[signature]

A compression gauge is your best friend before the purchase.
Make sure both cylinders are within 10% of each other and the track has not been abused by asphalt or rocks.
A good snowmobile engine will start in 3 pulls or less.
Stabil is your best friend after the purchase.
[signature]
Is it in the snowmobile section or fishing? J
[signature]
Snowmobile.
[signature]

The sleds are okay, but I think that package is over priced and you should come to our event before you drop too much money into that type gear. I think you may change your mind on somethings. I’d get an electric auger and instead of a pop up you may want a flip so it’s easy to move. And I think we can get you into new gear for about the same price. Just my thoughts. Jeff
[signature]