Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best low profile baitcaster?
What is the best low profile baitcaster under $200? I will be using it on wipers, stripers, and maybe some bass. Looking for a good brake system and good drag lbs rating. I heard diawa had some good ones. Been also looking at the Abu Garcia stx. Looking good castability and minimal backlash. Any suggestions? [fishon]
[signature]
I saw some comments elsewhere about KastKing reels, the main thrust being they are WAY better than their price point. Lots of reviews to confirm that. I ordered one in left-hand retrieve mostly because all my other bait casters are the usual right-side handle. So far, I'm very impressed by the KastKing Royale Legend model. Low profile, 11+1 bearings, 7.0 - 1 ratio, instant anti-reverse, carbon fiber drag, inertia AND magnetic anti-backlash. Left or right-hand retrieve.

For $40. Really.

[url "https://www.amazon.com/KastKing-Whitemax-Profile-Baitcasting-Fishing/dp/B010MAVMWW"]https://www.amazon.com/...ishing/dp/B010MAVMWW[/url]

[url "https://www.amazon.com/KastKing-Whitemax-Profile-Baitcasting-Fishing/dp/B010MAVMWW"][/url]
[signature]
I think it's more important to find one that fits your hand and thumb comfortably. I like Daiwa Zillion for general use, Abu Winch and STX or cranks and Shimano Tranx for big baits. I'm not really brand specific when it comes to reels.
I palm the reel and leave the spool pretty loose. The most important factor for me is the way my thumb sits on the spool. The Quantum PT line has changed and it just doesn't well. For me.
I've heard some good things about the Kastking reels but haven't tried them yet.
[signature]
That is a very open ended question ! I have AmbasSadur C3's that are 25 years old and still work like a charm. I just sold off all my original Lew's Speed Spool BB-1's and Ryobi BB-1n's, those were 30 plus years old ! I have AmbasSadur Revo's that I am using now, but looking at changing to something else, not sure what ?? I have a buddy that fishes all top of the line Shimino reels and swears by them ( and at them sometimes). I have used Diawa, Quantum, Shimino, Ryobi, Lew's, AmbasSadur over the last 50 years and have found them all to be adequate if used properly. I have liked some more than others. You have to experiment with different reels, different price points, and figure out for yourself what you like. Your style of fishing changes over time and the reel you use will change to fit it. Some of the reels that I use today would never have done the job 25 years ago because I was more of a power jig and crankbait guy ! Now I fish smaller cranks and jigs, using lighter reels and line, with the ability to throw those baits. If I pounded one of my newer Revo's with 5/8, 3/4, and 1 oz jigs the way I used to, I would break it down in a season. However, my C3's just can't handle throwing weightless Senko's 40-50 yds the way the Revo can. So match your reel to your style of fishing.

I have been using several Kast King rods, Drop Shot and Spinning Crankbait, for the last year. Beautiful rods and they perform flawlessly. I have been using their SharkyIII Spinning reel also and have loved them. Have ordered a Speed Demon Pro Bait caster, 9.3:1 gear raito to try. Again, it will be used for throwing light baits with 8-10 lb fluro. Let you know this time next year how it works !!!
I agree...I try to match my reels with what I am going for. I use c3 and c4s on my kokanee trolling rods, tekotas on my laker trolling rods, cardiffs on my laker jigging rods, revo s on my burbot/striper jigging rods, and eagle claw inclines for all my ice rods. Just new to actually casting with a baitcaster. I am looking to throw top water baits, cranks, and maybe some soft plastic swimbaits. I guess I am looking for a versatile reel that can handle hard fighting (utah standards...lol) fish. [fishon]
[signature]
Revo STX won't let you down and in the budget.
[signature]
I'm partial to the Okuma reels. I added 2 Okuma 354D Coldwater low profile line counter reels to my trolling rods this year and they functioned flawless. Okuma also has another model of low profile baitcaster. I do run 2 other different Okuma models on trolling rigs, Magda Pro MA30 for a heavier rig and Convector CV15D

https://www.cabelas.com/product/OKUMA-CO...&gclsrc=ds
[signature]