Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How fast does ice form?
If you are wondering when your favorite lake will have safe ice on it you may want to check out the following article. Or you could just look into your crystal ball [sly]. You do the math, I'm too tired right now.

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/how-fast-doe...-make-ice/
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Interesting read. I have noticed in checking ice this year that snow covered areas were a bit weaker than spots where wind had blown away the snow. The insulation factor makes sense. Would you assume that it can also work the other way? Say later in the season after the ice has already been built up. Would a good layer of snow protect the ice from the warming temperatures and keep it from melting as fast as a snow free area?
[signature]
Hey in answer to your question it's absolutely true that the snow cap helps keep the ice alive longer... The white reflects the solar radiation factor and for sure keeps the ice alive longer... Good thought... Later J
[signature]
Regarding late season ice and whether snow helps or hurts is dependent and relative to ambient temperatures. For example on days where the temps climb above freezing and the sun is shinning you will see the snow melting on the ice...this is how the slop and slush appears and given its liquid state will certainly lead to ice melting faster...
[signature]