Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield. M.O.T.S.S.
[quote PBH]

[quote Lonnie] But for whatever reason , the currant method was chosen. [/quote]

The reason is simple: public outcry. Rotenone is never the popular choice. People come out of the woodworks to fight rotenone because it is a chemical that kills all aquatic life in the target water. This is never a popular choice -- even if it the correct choice.

[url "https://i.imgur.com/c3mZHjy.jpg[/img][/quote]"][/quote][/url]

The reason that a rotenone treatment wasn't done was because a few members of the committee, that was formed, didn't want to lose the trophy trout that they had been catching. So, for the sake of a few people, the majority get to suffer for many years.
[signature]
There were VERY few big trout being caught once the UDWR stopped the supplemental feeding. Once the fingerling Rainbows stopped, the Tiger Trout stopped reaching trophy size.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
[quote PBH]
The reason is simple: public outcry. Rotenone is never the popular choice. People come out of the woodworks to fight rotenone because it is a chemical that kills all aquatic life in the target water. This is never a popular choice -- even if it the correct choice. [/quote]

It should be pointed out that in the Scofield angler survey, respondents who favored use of rotenone outnumbered those that opposed by a 2:1 margin! However, as is demonstrated in these endless Scofield threads, the opponents are a very vocal minority, and in this case, got their way.

Northman's point about the DWR ( more specifically, certain managers) trying to save face with their current actions is a very valid one.
[signature]
[quote doggonefishin]

Northman's point about the DWR ( more specifically, certain managers) trying to save face with their current actions is a very valid one.

[/quote]

I will give the UDWR credit for preceding forward with getting the permits to do the rotenone treatment, should the current experiment not reach its desired results. Otherwise, it would take several more years after a decision was made to rotenone, and start over, to work through the approval process.
[signature]
[quote doggonefishin]
Northman's point about the DWR ( more specifically, certain managers) trying to save face with their current actions is a very valid one.[/quote]

☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
Go catch some perch. That, by the way, would be the one thing that would really cause the UDWR a headache at Scofield.

[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]Go catch some perch. That, by the way, would be the one thing that would really cause the UDWR a headache at Scofield.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue][/quote][Image: crying.gif]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[laugh]

[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]Go catch some perch. That, by the way, would be the one thing that would really cause the UDWR a headache at Scofield.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue][/quote]

Well, perch ARE kryptonite for chubs. That would be one way to get rid of them. And usage for at least ice fishing would certainly go up. [Wink][Wink][Wink]

While factually correct, before some dimwit takes the above too seriously and grabs his bucket, the above is written 100% Tongue in cheek. Perch would also have a downside.
[signature]
If the perch do take a foothold of Scofield, that means that the DWR will have no choice but to plant walleye to take care of the perch explosion. [crazy]

P.S. Another Tongue-in-cheek comment. [Wink][sly]
[signature]
I agree with most of your points, And for the record my preference would have beet to treat , then manage with preditors. However since this did not happen , whoever is to blame, A management plan was implemented 2-3 years ago. And while the ideas are not new, I believe a few lessons have been learned over the last 20 years or so . I.e which predatory fish can be most effective ect… or combo of fish ect…
Using JV as an example again , Splake were put in there 25 years ago in hopes of controlling chubs. And while this produced trophy splake in JV... it did little to control the chubs due to splake being a deep water fish most of the time . So 9-10 years ago TM were introduced which has been a 2 headed monster, splake down deep, and TM shallow which has been very effective on the chubs
Scofeild is a different animal, But with the different types of predator fish , hopefully it will work. I agree wipers could be the ace in the hole. The DWR report -says good numbers of 4-6" wipers were netted from the 1 1/2 ones planted last year , so hopefully they will thrive there
[signature]
Yeah.... I guess I just don’t see the humor in unelected government bureaucrats going against the recommendation of biologists, and the voting majority.

If a bureaucrat gave me some Alpo on corn chips, I wouldn’t call it nachos or think that was humorous either.

You?
[signature]
I think if they ever find perch or Northern Pike in Scofield they would be forced to call in a nuclear strike. It would make a normal rotenone reboot look like refreshing day in the park. You'd see the reservoir poisoned, drained, dried, buried, and replaced.

[signature]
I caught lots of perch in Scofield, when I was a little kid, (that has been many many moons ago), so rotenone will also remove the perch. Caught them in Strawberry also. Maybe not as spectacular as a nuclear strike, but probably easier to sell to the public.
[signature]
I'm sticking to the nuclear option.

[signature]
We need 10k sterile yellow perch dumped in Scofied for an immediate solution.
[signature]
If only we had them.
[crazy]

[signature]
[quote k2muskie]I have to say an interesting conversation by the same folks.

I for one learned long ago learned get involved and do what you can being proactive and involved. I attempt to live by that, have I made mistakes oh heck yea. So with that being said:

I've been informally and formally (invited to attend meeting) hosted by the DNR and DWR fishing biologists. I listen and provide constructive input as an angler. I remain upbeat and positive at what these folks are doing and plans they are working.

Per info at a recent meeting and working with state officials I've been able to gather info from them and also being proactive have provided them with meaningful feedback.

They are making a difference at Scofield. Now the nay-sayers want instant gratification maybe listen and be involved would be my recommendation and do what you can. Stand back and look in the mirror: what are you doing to help, what constructive feedback do you provide with justifiable rationale. Heck maybe change your bait and big fish like bigger baits. Just my recommendation.

Here's info I want to share WRT Scofield after a recent meeting I attended with email follow up questions to the DWR folks over this awesome body of water that I look forward to fishing soon:

"Scofield, tiger muskies were up to 27" this fall and we netted a wiper that was 14" and very robust. That wiper was an overwintered fish. We also netted 40 wiper between 4-6" that were stocked in May at about 1.5". Chub numbers continue to trend down and their size structure is going up. This is good news. We also stocked 20,000 12"+ rainbows that anglers appear to be catching. So all in all things are going very well up there."

Finally I've attached photos and here is a link to a video on the October 5 gill netting they did. Folks things take time and for me I'll side on time as killing off a body of water well as Einstein so accurately said it if one keeps doing the same thing expecting different results its insanity. Along with wasting time and money for us now. I'll give Scofield time as I'm not about doing the same thing expecting different results. I also have seen on this Forum and throughout various other Social Media sites...well folks are appearing happy with Scofield and having fun with their families, kids, and grandkids.

Here is a link to a video that was shared with me on Scofield and I hope the link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBFfVbymdCY[/quote]

Great info Kim, thanks for the link and pics. Looks like Scofield is for sure on the mend and in the coming year we can expect to see even improvements. The naysayers will never admit these are positive improvements for this lake but there is little doubt things are a changings and IMO it will take far less time than they think, as long as the DWR keep stocking the wipers and TM. If there are a few more of those bigger wipers, like the one in your pic, they will start having a bigger impact in the coming year. Hard to argue with the pics of that big tiger and bow, they are still in there and continuing to grow and just because the DRW did not have any big cutts in their nets, that does not mean they aren't in there.
[signature]