Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No. Marina, No Ice, No Skunk 12-11-18
"Your prop fligs look interesting. Is there enough bouncy to float em with a prop?"

[#0000FF]That has taken some experimentation with size and shape of the body...and the size and weight of the blade and bead. I first assemble them without using the super glue and drop them in water to check for proper flotation. I have had to make the bodies a bit larger to provide enough buoyancy on some models.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I figured there was some engineering going on with them.
[signature]
Nice one TD. Perch would be my favorite fresh water fish to eat. How do you cook yours mate?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Interestingly, perch used to be considered a "trash fish" in Utah and were thrown up on the bank to rot. But in recent years more and more anglers have discovered just how good they are...and more of them are specifically targeting perch.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have always been a perch fan...both for catching and for eating. My opinion is that there is no bad way to fix them. They are all good. But I do have several favorite recipes. Maybe you can try them on some of your Aussie fishes.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Some great recipes there

Down here some times crumb my fish fillets in crushed salt and vinegar chips (or similar) Just make a small opening in the bag to let the air out, use a rolling pin or similar to crush the crisps into a crumb and then do your normal flour, egg wash then use the crumb. Shallow fry in a light oil (Sunflower or rice etc)
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sounds like we should get together for a fish fry.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Your place or mine?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Sounds like we should get together for a fish fry.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Your place or mine?
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Mine, weather is warmer Big Grin

Seriously though you are welcome anytime if the opportunity arises
[signature]
[#0000FF]I'm all about warmer. But I'm afraid reality has put a damper on any potential opportunities to join you in your area. I have lusted after a visit "down under" for years but there have always been other places that took precedence...and other demands on my financial resources. While still in reasonably good health my stamina for long trips has declined. In truth, I hate airports and all the stuff that goes along with air travel. Used to love to fly. No more.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But I always enjoy your occasional "walkabouts" on the forum here and the pictures you post of your local adversaries.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]
Almost all of my hits came while I was either moving very slowly...or completely still. And, as I mentioned, the bites were sometimes very light. I tried slow dragging both with fins and with electric set on low. Nary a sniff. But I think if I was swimming around in 36 degree water I wouldn't be moving very fast to chase down my dinner either.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Hey TD how did you rig for this day of fishing? Weightless bait? Bobber-Head weighted-hook under a bobber with bait? Small tubes tipped with worm? Thx.
[signature]
[#0000FF]As I mentioned in my original post, I caught all but two on sliding sinker flig rigs [/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=135047"]FLIG RIG.JPG[/url] (404 KB)[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I did catch two on a tandem tube jig rig tipped with crawlers.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]One rod had a flig and minnow and the other was rigged with tandem small tube jigs...tipped with worm. [/#0000FF][/quote]

Hey Pat - Can you briefly explain your technique on this trip with the rod with the tandem small tube jigs? Were they slowly moved under a sliding bobber or cast and retrieve. If cast and retrieve; how slow are they retrieved and how much jigging?

I assume the Walleye was caught on a flig? Thx
[signature]
[#0000FF]Whenever I throw plastics...twisters, swim baits or tubes...I am constantly changing up the presentation. When the water is warmer and fish more active you can often do well by swimming the plastics back above the bottom...low, middle or high in the water column. Your sonar will tell you where the fish are holding or cruising.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If I am prospecting to find the fish, I will count down the drop...after the cast...and then reel just fast enough to keep the lures at the desired level. At other times I will reel fast for a few turns and then slow down or even stop to let the lure drop back toward the bottom. Once I find the level the fish are hitting I can make that same count on successive casts. But still keep changing it up.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]This time of year...when fish are less active and most are hanging on or near the bottom...I keep the jigs on the downlow. Slow reeling and stopping, with occasional rod tip lifts and light jigging action. Keep your line tight and pay attention...not only to the feel on your rod for any little ticks or light back pressure (rubber band feel)...but also watch the rod tip and where the line goes in the water. Sometimes you will get visual cues to a bite and not even feel anything on your rod. Give a wrist snap hookset whenever there is a "change in the force". Hooksets are free and by reacting to anything suspicious you will hook fish instinctively when you did not have time to consciously register that you were being molested.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The walleye in the one picture was caught before I really started using fligs much at Willard. It actually took a small chartreuse "flat rinkee" that I make for ice fishing...and was using as a dropshot jig above a bigger jig...fishing for the perch. It was tipped with only a small piece of crawler. See pic.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]