Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Springs?
Just looking for some guidance/advice on Mantua. I’ve heard there are springs throughout the lake that keep the ice thin. Is there a map or something to know where to avoid those areas? Thinking about taking the kids up there and don’t want to wonder someplace I shouldn’t, but don’t really want to just hit the boat ramps and crowds.. thanks in advanced!
[signature]
[#0000FF]This topic comes up every year. If you look at old maps of the valley...before the lake was dammed and filled...you will find no evidence of springs. There are a couple of small streams that come in at the northeast and southeast corners...BUT NO SPRINGS.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]However, there are weak spots that form wherever decomposing aquatic weeds or methane bubblers send bubbles to the surface...but these spots can change from year to year...or week to week.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]All lakes can have weak ice spots due to a wide range of conditions. It pays to look for dark spots or other indicators that might mean poor ice. And if you are unsure, follow the tracks of others who have gone safely ahead of you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Perfect! That’s what I needed to know! Thx for taking the time to reply.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have had a gander at some old maps of the area in which all that the lake covers was once just fields. No springs on any property. But in recent times the "urban legends" have had springs all over that valley.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]One BFT member even posted a map with his concept of where the "hazards" were. You can make of it (attached) what you will. From many years of past experience fishing Mantua...going back to the 1970s...I have seen weak spots at many different places on the lake...but they seem to move around from year to year. Springs? I think not.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The biggest hazard or threat at Mantua is parking tickets from an overzealous Barny but buzz-kill!

Heard they've got the south road blocked off, what they hay?!
[#0000FF]They have a big construction project going on that requires a lot of flat surface to store equipment and supplies. Already been some altercations between fishermen who wanted to park and go fishing and nasty equipment operators who swore at them for taking up valuable construction zone space.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]For what it's worth, I heard that the original "Barney" was finally able to retire on his ill-gotten fines and now they got a Barney trainee.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yes, the parking there is atrocious. Last week a construction truck hit my buddies' truck while he was fishing, and didn't leave a note or anything. Get there early in hopes of finding a parking spot- especially on weekends.

The fishing has been slow there anyways...the annual case of 'lockjaw' showing up a bit earlier this year.

Barney retired? That trainee has some big shoes to fill! haha
[signature]