Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ion vs. Trophy Strike
Looking at getting a battery auger. Has anybody tried either one of these and if so what are your opinions on them?
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]There is no question that electric ice augers are here to stay. And for me, they are a better choice than any of the fuel powered augers. That said, there are several choices available, including the 2 you mentioned.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I have no direct experience with either of those brands and until just now, I never heard of the Trophy Strike. I've seen a few Ions out there and I'm sure the owners are happy with them.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've been using an electric drill set-up for 3 seasons now and would never even consider going back to a fuel auger of any type. My first set-up was a NILS with a Milwaukee Fuel 18 that came with two 4ah lithium battery packs. Lithium batteries are not adversely effected by cold temperatures. Then I saw an ad for the K-Drill auger and sold my NILS and got a K-Drill.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The NILS was slightly faster at drilling a hole through the hard deck, but I never looked at drilling holes through the ice as a race. Its a necessary function; not a competition. [Wink]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I like the lighter overall weight of the K-Drill and the ability to overlap holes without side slipping. And the ability to separate the drill and use it to drive in anchor screws on my shelter with ease is a bonus. You can't do that with an Ion or TS auger.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Both of the augers you asked about also cost more than the what you can buy an electric drill auger and the drill necessary to drive it. Not a whole lot less, but slightly less with prudent shopping on the Internet.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm sure you would be happy with either of the augers you asked about, but IMHO, there are better choices for less money available to you.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Good luck and tight lines to you.
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have a 10" ION X and I love it. They are a bit pricey, but with these augers you definitely get what you pay for. I have drilled over 45 holes in 12 inch ice and never used more than 1/3 to 1/2 of the available battery power. I have some friends who own the 8" model and they have had the same experience. It's a very well made auger and they are very easy to use. I really like the LED light when drilling before the sun comes up or after sunset.

I'm not familiar with the other unit you mentioned but if it's on the market they are probably fine products or they won't sell.

Mike
[signature]
Last year I spotted a special at Cabela's on a Strikemaster 40 V auger that included a second battery ($200) and free shipping. I got one and have never regretted it one bit. The auger is powerful and I have yet to have to go to the backup battery after drilling dozens of holes. Now I can set up my tent and drill holes inside without getting a ton of fumes and no complaints from the wife. So, I encourage you to get an electric first chance you get.
[signature]
I'm on my 4th season with the ION, and it's still running strong on the original battery. I've only depleted my battery once, and it was a day when we started at 8AM for lake trout and fished all the way through 11PM for burbot. I still think it would've been fine, but someone set the auger on the ice, battery side down, and the cold probably impacted the charge more than anything. I don't have lights, but I can say the reverse function is far worth it as well, allowing you to clear the slush out of your hole after you auger. I hardly use my ladle anymore.

Hope that helps and good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Nice, thanks for the info gentlemen..
[signature]
Check out In-depth Outdoors on the Net they advertise the Strikemaster on there and it looks like a good unit. I use the drill method myself but I like the drill for other things. The 10” Ion is tempting though. Later J
[signature]