Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua - Sunday
Three of us drilled our first holes at 8am over 13', just outside the neighborhood ice rink. Only one perch, so moved in all the way to 7' with nada. Started trekking east and found a school of 8-10"ers at 20' that kept us busy for a nearly an hour. When they shut down, we kept moving east, nearly all the way to the Mound. Yanked a few here & there, but a lot of walking for a few fish. Worked our way back with even less success, so called it a day around noon. Kept 4-doz and probably tossed back another 30 that didn't measure up. Only one 'gill in the mix and only one 6" trout.
Passed lots of folks who seemed content to stay hunkered down yank only 5-6 fish.
Best rig for us was a tungsten micro with a 3/4" string of perch belly. Got some on drop-shots & rattle-spoons, but it seemed as tho they wanted bait s-l-o-w-l-y dropped
from above, not crashed down. 2" of snow made for non-cleat walking over 5" of
ice. Bluebird day had us down to sweatshirts by the time we quit.
[signature]
Great report, I expected things to slow down there, but good to see safe ice and that fish can still be found if you look for them... Thanks for the report... J
[signature]
Thanks for the report. It's good to see that the ice continues to form instead of the opposite.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote SkunkedAgain] I expected things to slow down there [/quote]

Why is that? Why did you expect it and why did it happen?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Guess I expected it to slow down because it always does after the first week. I think it never gets fished very heavy during the summer and it gets pounded for pressure the first couple weeks of ice fishing so I think a lot of the fish get caught and taken home and the ones that are left get smarter quick. They know the noise of the crowds means it’s time to shutdown and they always seem to. Not saying you can’t catch fish it just gets harder to do it and your take goes down. But there will be some hit it and pull in some real lunkers yet this year. Biggest fish usually come after the crowds disperse to other lakes and it settles down a bit. I still need to find me a decent perch out of there or else my pan fish category is in trouble. Don’t think Newton or Hyrum will cut it this year. So no real reason just history. Later J
[signature]
Thanks, just the kind of answer I was looking for.
[signature]