Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Harbor makeshift - Monday
So I drive down to Lincoln Harbor Monday, and realize I left all my jigs in my ice sled (at home). I scrounge through my big tackle box (which never leaves the Jeep), and found one lead head with a stupid white grub body. First cast, hookup. Second cast, another hookup, (this one foul hooked in the dorsal fin). Got a few more hits on that jig until I snagged and lost it. Created a makeshift jig head with a regular hook and sinker, and found a torn white twister body on the beach. Hooked up almost every cast with that one, until I lost it. Dug deep in the old tackle box again and found a plain lead jig, but no body. Found a red/chartreuse body on the beach, but it was all torn up, so I had to use black tape to attach it. Got a couple of hits on that one, but, you guessed it, snagged it in the same spot I had lost two others. I tugged it a couple of times, and believe it or not, it pulled free and caught another jig that someone else lost in the same snag. It was a black body with white tail. Caught fish almost every cast until some other fishermen moved in right next to me, and I decided to leave.
Those whities are so much fun on an ultralight rod and 4# test.
[signature]
Your post title should have been: Macgyver Fishing Utah Lake

Good job, great photos.

Mike
[signature]
[quote mule_skinner45]

Got a couple of hits on that one, but, you guessed it, snagged it in the same spot I had lost two others.

[/quote]

Slow learner, huh?[Wink]
[signature]
That's where the fish were hitting best.... Yes slow learner.
[signature]
I'm impressed with your ingenuity and determination.

I didn't include in my last post, about fishing at Scofield, a similar story because I felt so silly. I wanted to travel light so I made up a small tackle box jammed full of ice fishing stuff. I found it (supposedly) outside of my big box I pack all my ice gear in so I threw it in. When I was ready to fish I put my go-to Rat Finkee which was already on one rod down one hole then went to rig the other. To my surprise the tackle box I had thrown in was the one I had made up for catfishing. Not much crossover to ice fishing for trout but I had something for white bass, but it was far from ideal and caught nothing no matter what I tried. Later in the day I moved something in by gear box and, lo and behold, there was my ice-fishing box! I tied on a Rat Finkee which was similar to the one I was catching all my fish on, but by then the bite was over. Good thing I caught some fish anyway and that I can laugh at my own goofs.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Good job! I'm l'm not going to worry whether I have all the right jigs, sizes, body types, colors, etc., anymore.

You are good at making do. Tight lines.
[signature]
Way to go!
Reminds me of a trip I took to the Uintas a few years ago.
I lost my tackle on the way in and all I had was my pole and scissors/forceps.
Didn't even have a single hook because of the way I packed my pole away the previous trip.
I was way bummed because you could see the tigers swimming the shoreline.
There was no way I was leaving until I caught a fish!
I worked the bank first looking for a hook and after a while of not finding one I moved to the trees off the shoreline.
I walked the edges looking in to the trees where a flycaster would backcast.
Finally found one but the dressing was destroyed by the branch it was stripped on.
I removed the damaged dressing, went down the shore with a branch trying to kill a housefly, and once the housefly was on the hook a gentle cast was made and a tiger was released by hand.
About 2 or 3 hours had passed just for the one fish but it was a trophy in my eyes.
Sorry for such a long story.....
[signature]
[#0000FF]That's a lot better story than know-it-all guys who hit the water with full tackle boxes and high end rods and reels...and they can't score anything. But you won't see many of them admitting their failures on a public forum.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The tape is by far my favorite part of that story.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]That's a lot better story than know-it-all guys who hit the water with full tackle boxes and high end rods and reels...and they can't score anything. But you won't see many of them admitting their failures on a public forum.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

We're a tight lipped lot.[Wink]
[signature]
Glad I'm not the only one.
[signature]
I can almost top your story. I took my grandson to Strawberry Marina ice fishing. When I got there I immediately realized I had left my tackle box home. I went to the marina store and bought several jigs and other lures to get me by. They worked fine, but when I got home I couldn't find the bag of lures that I had purchased from the store.

On another trip I left a nice heater next to my vehicle when I loaded up. I sure hope the person who found it got some use out of it.
[signature]