Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Res. Ice Alert!
I just read some reports on another website of three ice fishermen and two snowmobiles that went through the ice at Strawberry this morning. Thankfully they were out of the water and they were assisted by first responders and other ice fishermen. Not many details yet but it's a sure sign that the entire lake is not safe enough yet to just travel all over the reservoir on a snow machine or ATV.

Everybody please be safe.

Update: Apparently they were in the area of Haws Point where there are some warm springs that can cause thin ice. They were able to get to shore and call for help. The two snowmobiles are still in the lake.

Mike
[signature]
Thanks for the report. A cautionary tale for sure.

One of my favorite sayings is, "You'll never know how far you can go unless you sometime risk going too far." There are a lot of situations where that attitude, however, can lead to disaster. Need I say more?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Yep, that's gonna be Big Hole. More years than not someone dumps a vehicle in that place. Here's a screenshot of the spot:
[signature]
It could be Big Hole or it could be close to shore at Haws Point.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]It could be Big Hole or it could be close to shore at Haws Point.[/quote]

Or it could be a pressure ridge that always comes off of Haws Point every year.

(That said, Big Hole is nothing to trifle with and will claim a couple of sleds and/or ATV's every year)
[signature]
It was the area highlighted on the map "Big Hole" (I didn't know that is what it is called). We came across the husband and wife as they were making their way back on the one snowmobile they had left. I felt really bad for them. I'm glad everybody was able to get out of the water and back where they could warm up. Ice was 6" where we fished about a mile from that spot.
[signature]