Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Saturday
Just got back from the pond and yes, it's more like a city on day like today. Tents and people galore.

Ice was solid 4"-5" depending where you are. There are SOFT SPOTS or SPRINGS or 'Whatever the heck you want to call them these days'. One of my friends fell in half way up his leg and was lucky to recover in time. They are hard to see if you're not looking. Look for what looks to be a drilled hole except it's no a perfectly drilled hole. Could be a few inches to several inches in diameter. Partially covered in snow/slush, they are hard to spot sometimes. Use caution. I saw several of these spots out toward the middle.

The fishing was slow overall, but got into some perch - fast action when a school swam by. Must have caught 20 perch, only 5 were considered big enough to keep. And one lonely rainbow trout. My buddy caught his first ever Cut. No bluegills, no bass.

Did I mention lots of people?
[signature]
Yeah as you were saying tough day. Watch for them springs or thin ice. That hole was at least 2 feet across. Yeah that cutt was my first threw ice at Mantua. Really didn't know they were in there. Marking slot of fish all day but wouldn't bite. Good old dog days at the pond.
[signature]
were you guys over in the big city on the north west end of the pond? I fished the suburbs at the boat ramp. Nothing 8am until noon. the fish that did swim by did just that swam by. Nice cut wambat
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Yeah we were over in that metropolis. Fishing looked slow everywhere which is why it was surprising to see so many there.

But I guess it was a Saturday, end of December, ...what else are folks gonna do lol

Maybe with Hyrum finally thickening up the populations will start to thin out some.
[signature]