Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling plate /Hydrafoil
Has any one seen a trolling plate hydrafoil combo that will work on a 260 hp motor. I have seen one at Cabelas but it is only rated up to 175 hp.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks a-b
[signature]
THE BEST SUGGESTION I CAN GIVE IS TO CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER OF THE MOTOR AND ASK IF THEY EITHER MAKE ONE OR KNOW OF A COMPANY THAT DOES. I HAVE FOUND THAT USUALLY THE MOTOR MFG, AND THE OTHER COMPANIES WILL WORK TOGETHER TO MAKE A ACCESSORY FOR THE PRODUCTS. OR THEY MAY MAKE THEM RIGHT THERE NO AFTER-MARKET INVOLVED. THAT MAY JUST BE AND UNADVERTISED ITEM, PROBABLY LISTED IN THE "OPTIONS" COLUMN OF THE MOTOR SALES PITCH/LITURATURE.

HOPE I HELPED

LATERS,
[signature]
First off, why in the world would you want one on that motor?

Second, which motor is it?

A better solution is to get a kicker for trolling. If that isn't an option, some big DFI motor mfg's sell a digital gauge package that lets you specify RPMs from the gauge. This allows you to really idle down the motor to trolling speeds with more control than you have with the throttle. DFI's also have the ability to troll down and stay there for extended periods of time without fouling. A big 4-stroke will also let you idle down. That's why we need to know what motor you have. I'm guessing it's an I/O??

Another option, and probably the best option, is a drift sock. Personally, I'd never ruin a nice, big motor with a trolling plate. And you shouldn't need a foil. It may make you come up on plane faster, but will cost you top-end speed. It's better to tune your boat's performance with prop selection, weight distribution, etc than by adding a foil--unless you're underpowered and can't get on plane easily.
tow socks work well but also you can get a couple 5 gallon bucks with strong metal handles and tie some rope onto them and just troll those around. they will slow you down plenty. however, running a 260 hp motor at really low rpms for an extended period of time might gum up the engine. 260 hp motors arent made to run at low rpms for extended periods of time. 2 stroke are better at runnin on low rpms but they may be outlawed soon. yammaha makes some nice low hp 4 stroke motors perfect for trolling look in the cabelas catalog.

jr8fish
[signature]
You should really think about getting a kicker. If you troll a lot you will put lots of hours on your big expensive motor when you could put those hours on a motor that is a very small fraction of the price.

Cableguy
[signature]
Cable guy is right, Get a nice 4-stroke kicker, you wont regret the hours of quite spent fishing with it draped ovr the side sipping fuel while you can get down to lake trout speeds is well worth it. Depends on how big your boat is to decide what Hp to get for a kicker. If your boat is big enough for a 15 hp or so it can be elec start with a generator which is nice for electronics.
[signature]