Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
old minnows
now i just got a little ear full of , what's this ?

saving the old minnows in the freeser for the spring catfishing .

got a container of waxworms in the fridge and a couple dozen spawn too .

am i the only guy thats saving bait , or is this something we all do ?
[signature]
I've got 2 packs of dead smelt in the freezer, wax worms in the fridge, and in my coat pocket, a minnow bucket full of minnows in the basement... hey, it's pretty decent outside..44 degrees, time to go icefishin...hahaha.[Smile]
[signature]
lol , have i got an embarising moment for you , wax worms in the coat pocket .

standing in the check out line at wally world , behind me is a typical 10 , haa cha cha cha .

i'm tring to , well , sneak a peek or two back when all the sudden she jumps back , screams and points at me .

yep the forgotten container was open and out they were coming !

nowhere to run , nowhere to hide , and forget about coming up with a logical excuse for the little critters crawling on the coat .
[signature]
Ha, Ha..that's a good one! She must have thought you were a bit past your prime..lol.

The funny thing about those waxworms that I thought were still in my coat pocket..got my tipups set up at 1 p.m today, reached in the pocket, and to my surprise..no waxworms. Did get a 15" bass on my tipup within the first few minutes, but I was on the lake just down the road, and the panfish in it don't particularly care for crappie minnows..lol. It was real nice out when I made that last reply, and the temps dropped a good 10degrees, and about a 25 mile an hour north wind blew in about 1:30. Had 4 different flags, but only got the bass...not a good day for fishing. Some guys were catching some pretty nice gills, but all I could do was wish I had the waxworms..lol.

Found out that I had a senior moment last Sunday when I got home with the son from fishing. Handed him the waxworms & told him to refrigerate them. I used to have a good memory, but I can't remember where I put it! lol
[signature]
gotta love those moments , my best one is spending 20 minutes looking around the house for my favorite hat . when the wife asked what i was looking for she just busted out laughing . i knew right then where it was .[crazy].
[signature]
I keep about 3 or 4 dozen nightcrawlers on hand at all times, at least 100 waxworms, 100-200 meal worms, 30 butter worms and several Mackerals. When the stock runs lower than that, I start to panic. hee hee.
[signature]
I've got my crawler box reproducing worms for me under the bathroom sink (nice, cool air comes through vents in the skirting and up under the tub) and two containers of waxies in my coat pocket. Hope they're still in there anyway. I've gotten rid of all the fish in my aquarium and loaded it with minnows. I'm set!

Any left-over minnows that people are giving away go into the aquarium. That's how I got it filled up in the first place. As long as I keep the water changed and the filter clean, I've got minimal die-off.
[signature]
WHAT , NO ANCHOVIES ? LOL !
[signature]
I keep those in my son's freezer. He keeps our saltwater bait stock. It consists of 3-4lbs of heavily salted chovies, 1-2lbs salted sardines, 5lbs of small squid, 1lb ea of mussels, clams and batray meat soaked in Calico Cocktail sauce.

We do use some of the Mackerel from my freezer for our Crab traps.
[signature]
When I used to fish the ocean on the North Carolina coast back in the 70's, we used to use alot of shrimp for bait. I had alot of fun with the three rig hookups down there. Get three fish going on the same line. That was cool.
Do you use any shrimp for bait, TubeN2?
[signature]
keeping theem seprate from the grocerys gotta be hard .
[signature]
a bag of the little shrimp left in the sunlight all day and you have the best bullhead bait around [Wink].
[signature]
Hey bulldawg53115, Yes. in fact I do use some of the little bay shrimp that you buy in the regular stores. I fish the same way that you were describing, with a double or tripple dropper loop. Those work real well for the little perch an pompanos. Some times I will use the baby clams on the same rig.[cool]
[signature]
take some chicken liver blood and pour it in the shrimp and let them soak and let set for two days great fishing bait for cats.
[signature]