Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wiper lakes in colorado "lots"
I was just look in colorado's dwr site and saw lots of lakes with wipers in them and wow the state record fish wow. I'm thinking this might be a place to make a road trip this summer not idaho like I was thinking. heck some of the lakes with wipers have musky or pike also.

so what do you all think of a BFT wiper road trip? just a thought. no plans yet but would like to do.
[signature]
[cool] Hey Nomoose

There are lots of lakes with wipers, and some BIG ones. The key will be water levels. For the last couple of summers some of the best wiper lakes have been very difficult to access with all but very small boats. My 2 favorites, both for numbers and size, are NeeNoshe and NeeGrande (you'll find various spellings of both lakes) down southeast near Eads. They both have walleyes and saugeyes and NeeNoshe has some nice crappie and largemouth. Puebo has a good population of big fish, too along with some other lakes. Best wiper/walleye/saugeye fishing is usually from about mid-May to sometime around July 1. I'll try to keep you posted on the deevelopments this Spring. Keep your fingers crossed for lots more snow down here.

Don
I know this may be a dumb question but what is a saugeye?
[signature]
A saugeye is a hybrid cross between a Sauger and a Walleye.
[signature]
They are a hybrid cross of a sauger and a walleye. They are better able to tolerate turbid water and higher water temps than walleyes. They also apparently are more prone than a walleye to stay in relatively shallow water, close to shore, giving fishermen a better shot at them. mAt least that's what the fisheries people tell us.

Don
if you remember i talekd about this earlier in the year. i called alot of places and as don said water levels are a major problem in the very good wiper fisheries. they were at 18 percent or less on all the plains lakes. i still might make the trip myself but will have to see how this winter fairs.
[signature]
ok now what is a sauger, do you have any pics of them or the sauger walleye hybred?
[signature]
Here ya go fish4fish. Picture of each is attached

Saugeye:

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]IDENTIFICATION: Saugeye are a cross of the walleye and sauger. The dark bars on the dorsal fin are the best identifying characteristic for this fish. Sharp canine teeth, dark blotches on the sides, and a white tip on the lower tail also help identify the saugeye.[/size][/font]

Walleye:

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]IDENTIFICATION: The walleye has a long slender body with a yellow-olive color with a brassy overcast on the sides. The tail fin has a white spot on the bottom edge. The eye is large and cloudy, and there is a dark blotch on the webbing between the last three spines of the first dorsal fin. The mouth is filled with sharp canine teeth. The walleye looks similar to the sauger and saugeye.[/size][/font]

Sauger

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]IDENTIFICATION: Sauger look very similar to walleye and saugeye. The body is cylindrical with dark blotches along the sides. They have sharp canine teeth and large cloudy eyes. They can be distinguished from walleye by the large dark spots on the spiny dorsal fin.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2][/size][/font]
[signature]
thats right I fogot you talked about it before"must of been the good drugs for the back" lets hope they get the water they need also so we can go slay the wipers in colorado. I want to see how those wipers like my moose shads there.
[signature]
thanks don, another question (im just full of them) do the saugeyes fight more then a walleye becaus i love catching and eating walleyes but when you reel them they fight about as well as a clump of weeds.
[signature]
I've never noticed any difference in the fight of a saugeye vs that of a walleye. Neither is particularly compelling. But a wiper - now that's a different story. There's a fish that will stretch your string!!
[signature]