Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRE HUNTING TIP
GET OUT THERE WITH YOUR G.P.S. AND LOOK FOR THE MAIN RUNS NOW !!!!

ONCE THE SNOW IS GONE YOU CAN BE EASILY MISLEAD BY NEW VEGITATION GROTH .

THE WELL TRAVELED TRAILS ARE PRETTY EASY TO SEE RIGHT NOW . TRACK THEM ON YOUR GPS , WRITE THEM DOWN ON A MAP , PLOT THE TRAIL .

NEXT SEASON , YOU CAN GET THE BIG GUY ON THE FIRST DAY , THAT LEAVES PLENTY OF TIME OVER FOR FISHING .
[signature]
Good info. Most GPS allow for multiple way points. Something I would like to add. In areas where things all look the same mark the point when you change directions. Keep you on track, also help you get back.

I keep hearing of hikers and hunters getting lost and these GPS units only cost $100. There portable, durable and waterproof. Just might save your life.

Better than putting down stones![shocked][sly]
[signature]
mines a old garmin 38 , i can go out and walk the tracks , mark good areas with the waypoints , save multiple runs on the logs , pull out the batteries and wait for fall . pop the batteries back in and everything is still there . [cool]

no cluttering mother nature up with plastic tape or paint .[unsure]

besides ol' mother nature looks pretty on her own , no facepaint needed on her at all [Wink].
[signature]
That is one of the many features that I like about my Garmin Rhino 110. I can follow my own footprints electronically. That helps when I am exploring a new area or hidden lake.
[signature]
IT USUALLY TAKES BETWEEN 5 TO 20 MINUTES TO AQUIRE THE SATILITES ON THE 38 , HOW LONG ON YOURS ?

I HAVE A POWER PLUG FOR THE JEEP , SET IT ON THE DASH AND HIT THE BACK WOODS , NEVER GOT LOST YET .
[signature]
In some areas it will track to the 2D accuracy within 1 1/2 minutes and full 3D withing 2 minutes. There are weak signal areas though and it can take longer to track. That's just like any area around.

I've had some spots where the signal is so strong that I get full 3D accuracy in just under a full minute. Another area that was so weak that it couldn't find the signal at all. We do have alot of electromagnetic interference in certain areas in CA.
[signature]
Hey tubeN2,

Those Rhino's are pretty sweet. A couple of my buddies have them. They swear by the peer to peer feature. They've been naggin me to get one. Only problem is that I just got my e-trex a couple of years ago. Do you have the 5-mile range or just the 2 mile? It would be nice to be able to consolidate the radio and GPS into one unit. [Wink]
[signature]
I have a Garmin too. Not sure on model. Thing works great though. I went hiking up in Cleveland National Forest awhile back and I had it. My friend was really good at reading a compass and using maps,etc.

After a fall he broke his compass, leg and arm and lost the map. I remembered I had my GPS in my backpack and marked our starting waypoint before we left. We also had cell phone and radio. Of course cell phone didn't want to work but radio did.

I got ranger station online and they asked for coordinates. I read him info off GPS and no more than 20 minutes later a sheriffs helicopter came over hilltop.[shocked][Wink]

They had EMT's on board. They stabalized and transported my friend to local hospital. He is fine now and still hikes. He did buy a portable GPS and marks his waypoint when starting but insist on using compass still. We on the other hand having our waypoint hiked back to cars and drove them home. It was a very intersting day to say the least.[cool]
[signature]
Actually on the radio feature of it, the FRS channel allows you only 2 mile range limit. I have a FCC license for the GMRS feature which will go up to 5 miles on the 2 watts that its transceiver has. I have a different GMRS with 3 watts and 7mile range. I use them alot for Search and Rescue when we are out of range of a repeater for the FD radios.
[signature]
People get up there in mountains and think cell phones will save them. Unless you got a satellite phone alot of times you will find cell phone doesn't work.

I have two kinds of radio's. A cb style which cover 2-5 miles and it monitored by Emergency Services and the other which is marine for boat. Same thing[Wink]

Years and years ago I would help Sheriffs off and on as a volunteer in Clevlend National Forest because I was so familar with it.

I went up recently and we almost got lost![blush]
[signature]
I have never fully understood that FCC GMRS feature. What is it all about? I've seen it mentioned in the manuals for my two way radios and the like. Just curious, I thought the air waves were public domain. Sure would hate to get into trouble if I ever accidentally used it..
[signature]
[size 2]I think when you broadcast over certain frequencies you need a license ( like HAM operators )[/size]

[size 2] I think it is a distance thing. Something cool I didn't know was alot of cell phones now have a GPS component in them to track you if your in trouble.[cool][/size]
[signature]
Let me give it to you in a nutshell. The FRS radio or Family Radio Service is a set of band frequencies that are just outside of the CB or Citizens Band.

The CB radio is allowed a maximum of 5 watts, although people do use amps on them.

The FRS runs at 1/2 watt and has a range of 2 miles under ideal circumstances. No license required.

The GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) runs just above the FRS and requires a license because of the extra service. 1 watt to 3 watts, (5 to 7 mile range) The license is a family license. You do not need individual licenses for you,+ wife+kids. One will do the trick.
[signature]
Do you have to apply for it through the FCC? Seems like it would be worth having.. Then I could still go fishing on the Ogden river (3mi. from home) and the wife could keep in touch. She's due in about a month and she's become increasingly nervous anytime I leave the house witout a communication device.[Wink] By the way, thanks for all the info TubeN2...
[signature]
my garmin has saved my tail many a time , on the water !

lake erie , miles from shore and no landmarks , yep i knew exactly which way to head back to port [cool].
[signature]
Saved me also on the water. Caught in fog bank!!! Ahh. very scary. Used waypoints I pre-programed like entrance to harbor, channel markers, oil islands and oil platforms, etc.

I was able to safely plot my way back into main channel then into harbor area until fog lifted.
[signature]
coulda used it yesterday , out on the big bay . temps were up in the 30's and before you knew it , FOG !!!

I WAS ABLE TO FOLLOW MY TRACKS BACK IN , BUT YOU COULDN'T SEE MORE THAN 5 FEET IN FRONT OF YOURSELF .
[signature]
A license can be obtained from the FCC. It costs 75buck for 5 years. Just like I mentioned earlier, it is a family license. You, your wife and however many kids are covered on the same license. They are also selling the GMRS mobile mounted radios as well for installation in vehicles.
[signature]