Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge Mac's Hot Action
Fished right out from Buckboard in 65 feet of water on 6 inches of ice. Used 1/4 oz lime green jig heads with Yamamoto 4" luminescence curly tails that glow in the dark tipped with sucker meat. Middle of the day was the best. Caught 20 Sat and 16 on Sun. Get up there and catch some to help out the fishery.
[signature]
Nice! How big was your largest? Thanks for the detailed report; I feel like I could go there and at least make a good start on them. [Smile]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I was there on Sunday, the first red tent going into the cove. You guys were out further. We landed 15 but lost a ton fightingvthem in. Was a blast & we kept ours to help out too. It wasn’t too bad of a day. I post a pic that I think you’re in the back ground & I circled the tent we were in.
Tight lines.
[signature]
Our largest was 26".

We were just north of the marina bay.
[signature]
Very nice job alot better than the other reports i saw on here lately.
[signature]
What was your presentation? Dead stick, jigging or pop and drop or swim to the top? Right on the bottom or up some? Thanks for the great report.
[signature]
Congrats and thanks so much for the update!!
[signature]
I used a pearl 5” tube & a white 3.5” tube, caught on both. Caught the first 4 with just the tube then added a chunk of sucker meat for the rest. Had about 4 hit on a dead stick while taking a break but most the action was from jigging. The fish were on the bottom for the most part but landed a few higher in the water column. We fished in 60 FOW cause that’s where we marked the most fish.
[signature]
Any snowmobiles on the ice?
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
We took four wheelers last Friday but had to stick to the bays the channel area was an inch or two shorter on ice but it’s been cold since so I’ll bet it’s close if not good to go. J
[signature]
There were four wheelers at Buckboard but no one ventured to far out of the cove from what I seen but the ice was solid, clear & at least 10”.
[signature]
Sorry to question your numbers but how did you measure ten inches or where did you find that thickness? There was not more than 4 and half inches on Friday just south of buckboard. I highly doubt it froze six inches over night, better be careful before you send the masses crazy on that pond thinking there are ten inches of ice... I'd clarify where you seen that much ice so you don't send someone in a side by side for a swim... We taped the thickness where we were so I'm pretty sure our measurement is good plus or minus a quarter inch... It is good strong black ice so that's a plus, but we still didn't dare go further east because it was getting too thin for our comfort on a wheeler. Sorry to question, but you must have been in a protected area to get that thick verses what we seen on the main body of the lake. I know it's been cold for four nights since so it's probably getting much better by now... but I'd still be cautious until you've checked for yourselves... Later J
[signature]
Well idk what the ice was where you fished but it was easy 10” in the cove on the right side of Buckboard marina. I don’t post very often on this site but if I do you can trust I’m not trying to mislead anyone. I don’t appreciate you questioning my post but I do appreciate you thinking about the safety of others. Therefore I’ll back my word & say it was at least 10” of solid ice. Other anglers were riding their four wheelers on it without any issues. Would you like a way point?
[signature]
Great job weeding out the pups! Looks like fun!
[signature]
Thanks brotha.
[signature]
Nope don't want any way points and didn't want to discourage you posting at all, I really enjoyed your post. I'm sure you were on a lot thicker ice than we were too, but I just didn't want to have others get in trouble taking it as the ice is safe, lets go where ever we want... its a variable thickness pond and people need to know some areas may be safe, but others are likely to still be too thin to take big machines on. So please don't take this as doubting your info, I probably didn't word things correctly in my post... so sorry if I didn't say things as I should have. Thanks for sharing the trip with us, it sounded really fun.. Later Jeff
[signature]
One would think a person. Would be smart enough to do their own home work on thickness of ice . Just because someone says ice is thick or thin wouldn't you wanna know yourself before you go blasting out on the ice on a 4 wheeler or sled .. it's not up to us to keep you safe it's up to you ..most of us here post our experience or what we do or did been ice fishing for over 30 years never had a problem.. drill a few holes find out for yourself be safe make it your own point to make sure ice quality and conditions are good stop relying on others
Sorry for the rant .
[signature]
I’m absolutely with you, it’s nice to see a post where people are ice fishing but I still (everyone should) take it upon myself to check the ice as I go. Anyone with a snowmobile, four wheeler or side by side should for sure. I’m sure they’re smart enough to take their own precautions. I’ve fished Lost & the berry when ice is 8” thick only to drill a hole & it only be 2”. I’m sure we all have so any experienced angler knows what they should be doing to ensure their own safety & the safety of those with them. Tight lines.
[signature]