Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fished Boyd 1-17-19

Fished Boyd today on the ice, the ice was 6 to 8 in. Most every where.
We caught 5 rainbows and 1 smallie monster. 18in. Just over 4lbs.
[signature]
this is good to hear. regarding the ice thickness not trying to find your honey hole, when you say everywhere were you on the north or south end and how far out did you check?
[signature]
Nice report, great SM bass Chuck, that looks like some slick ice. What were you using to catch the bass?
[signature]
WOW! Good job, that is a nice smallie!

Oddly that is the first report I've seen of a smallie caught through the ice (anywhere). Largemouth seem to be fairly common, but even in waters with lots of smallies, they don't seem to be caught much through the ice. Any insights you would be willing to share?
[signature]
I was south just out from the pump house right close to 20 fow. I did walk out about 200 yards, ice looks good all the way across, but there is a crack close to the east side that I can see.
[signature]

I’m using a small ice fly on a size 8 hook green and orange with a
minnow head. I think the lure weights about 1/32oz. Or less. very subtle jigging and shake it every once in a while. When you see a fish come on your depth finder screen give your jig a little shake pause and start reeling up a few inches then pause again then reel again, etc. and see if the fish fallows. they usually hit on the pause and it is very light.
[signature]
Good advice Chuck, thanks for the info.
[signature]
Congrats Chuck on the nice smallie. I hope you were wearing ice cleats on that ice.
[signature]
Thanks, Yeah that ice was super slick, but yes I had cleats on.
[signature]
Thanks, I found a pretty good wintering spot that’s fairly small but smallies frequent it. I think this fish was hanging around my bait for over 5 minutes. He fallowed it up about 7 feet, I would see him then not, every time I would see him I would move my lure up a few. I didn’t even feel the bite, I went to move my jig up and my indicater stayed down. It’s a cat and mouse game, but fun.
[signature]