Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 1/24
Pat, I even caught a "6" threaded brass pipe coupling fish" once at the Pelican Bay Marina. Managed to land it, even. Old fella, all covered with rotting ropes and weeds.

The funny thing was, it would feel like a snag as I dragged it up the boat ramp underwater. Once it got close, under my feet, it would turn up on it's side and roll back down the ramp a few yards, with its raised wrench lands bumping along the cement bottom. Convinced me that it was alive, at least, a coupe of times.

Using 4 lb test on an ultralight rod, this was very sporting, but I kept questioning my sanity. Like, what the HECK is this thing? It pulled back hard, but felt like nothing I had ever caught.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Definitely an interesting catch.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I just started a separate thread..."Bycatch"...for all of us to tell our interesting catch tales...and share pics if we got 'em.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thank you. I asked my wife if was more a goober or a goofus. I think I'm happy that she said "Goofus?"

I have a book I picked up a few years ago at a yard sale entitled "Fishes of Utah." It has some nice plates of species that were extant in the state at that time, circa 1960s. It's fun to see how many introductions have been made over the last half century.

I have the 2019 Utah Fishing Guidebook right here. It's very good but leaves out at least four species: sacramento perch, white crappie, pumpkinseed, and grass carp. It shows the difference between green sunfish and bluegills which is the real question at hand anyway.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nice job! I have hunted that reservoir for bluegill this year. Is there any chance you could gimme some pointers on where they're hanging out in the lake?
[signature]
Welcome to the forum!

Fair enough to ask where to find the fish but you can't always expect an answer. Some members, however are very helpful and forthcoming. I recently had a member take us out to his "secret spot" to fish for crappie. And just this morning he sent me way points to where he has had success on another lake. Share and share alike is a good idea--we look forward to hearing many reports from you.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.