Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In-carp-eration 2-1-19
There are numerous species of carp worldwide, some of them being MUCH better table fare than the common carp we find here. My parents fished for and cooked carp when I was little, and I can recall that when baked, it is at least tolerable. As with so many fish, the smaller individuals are better - and have absorbed less toxic stuff than large specimens.

I'd much rather eat bullheads than carp, though.
[signature]
[#0000FF]If that was all there was to eat we could end obesity too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good points all. As with trout or any other "more favorable" species, there can be notable variations in table quality from species to species...and even in the same species from different waters and conditions.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Your observation about smaller specimens being better for eating is definitely true for carp. They are a long-lived species and like most fish that live long they can accumulate flavors and contaminants that reduce the enjoys.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Bullheads vs carp. I think I agree. Love the bullies.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The mighty freshwater bonefish in the Farmington flats....
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yes indeed...but you don't need a "permit" to fish for them. There were some that day that looked more like goliath groupers.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey, thanks for the tip on where to get some carp. I went out there today to try and replenish my supply.
Got out there to the boat ramp and a DWR officer was there so I stopped and talked to him and asked him if I could take some of them carp because they were everywhere! He said I could have as many as I wanted. I asked him why there was so many dead carcasses everywhere and he said they just poisoned that part of the lake. I wasn't sure if I wanted the carp at that point. Some were still alive and kicking. Could of just reached down and caught as many as I wanted but I wasn't sure if the catfish would notice the poison or not so I opted for some fresher bait.
Do you Think if they were poisoned it would make a difference if they were used as bait?
[signature]
[#0000FF]If they use rotenone it will not adversely affect the fish for either human consumption or for bait. Indigenous peoples in the Amazon discovered rotenone centuries ago and used it to collect fish for food. They still do.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Just one of the many modern chemicals and medications we have gained from the Amazon forests. I understand it works by paralyzing the oxygen processing function of the gills and does not end up in the flesh at all.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There have been repeated treatments at Farmington over the years to control carp and chubs. Several years ago I accompanied a fellow BFTer who had permission to gather up dead and dying minnows after a treatment. It was tough to get any away from the hordes of gulls and terns but there were plenty to go around. And the ones I caught and kept were well received by the fishies on several waters. But I can't say that all those fish survived. I invited some of them home for dinner...and other than that third eye and glowing in the dark it hasn't affected me much either.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I never knew that's how rotenone came about. Learn something new every day! Guess I'll head back out there and scoop some up.
Thanks TD!
[signature]
[#FF0000]NOTE: It has been brought to my attention that Farmington Bay Refuge is now off limits for fishing or harvesting of fish. In the past it was legal, and staff openly allowed it. Apparently there have been some changes...due to problems with anglers leaving line that harmed waterfowl, etc. So now it is not legal and citations are being issued.[/#FF0000]
[#FF0000]
[/#FF0000]
[#FF0000]There are no signs at the refuge nor restriction in the DWR Fishing Guidebook prohibiting fishing or minnowing. But there should be if they will be citing people.
[/#FF0000]
[signature]
Pat do you know if the Bear River Bird Refuge is the same way? I’ve heard that you can’t fish there as well. (Inside the refuge) But I’ve never been there or tried so I don’t know if there are signs or how that is regulated. We just need to make sure if it’s illegal that we don’t spread word to our readers to the contrary. So warning to all readers please verify the legality of fishing on these areas prior to going. Sounds like it’s a no go on them. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
[#0000FF]Again, there are no such restrictions in the DWR guidebook. And I can't verify whether or not there is signage prohibiting fishing anywhere in the Bear River refuge. I do know that anglers have been fishing there for decades with no problems.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I will make some inquiries.[/#0000FF]
[signature]