Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lure design determines function and limitations
Most of us already know this simple fact, but nuances in lure design can make all the difference whether fish even become curious enough to consider, I'll bite! vs do I bite?

From all the photos I've posted on BFT forums, anyone can see that though some soft plastic modifications seem too similar to matter, fact is, that at times a modification is the only thing that increases a lure's potential.

Even unmodified lure comparisons of design determine presentation limitations. Someone on another forum was curious the difference between swimbaits: primarily Zoom Flukes and boot tail swimbaits.
For my money, a swimbait has a boot shaped tail -similar to that of a Sassy Shad; whereas a fluke style lure has a straight tail that tapers to a fork or flat paddle.

Each has different action and each has presentation limitations. A fluke style lure is in my mind a jerk & pause bait; a boot tail swimbait is more of a trolled or steady retrieve lure similar to a crankbait with lip.

There more presentations for flukes than swimbaits:
nose hooked/ no weight, jerk retrieve mid depth to surface, weed pocket, slow Caroline retrieve on bottom, drop shot/ nose hooked.

Swimbaits are limited to forward weighting - IE jighead, weighted wide gap hook. It's not that they are not just as effective as flukes style lures, but that versatility is important when the bite is tough.

Are all plastic worms equal? Most definitely NOT! Creme, Mr Twister and the Kut Tail differ big time due to shape, plastic hardness/ softness, body taper, tail design and action comparisons of certain lengths. I won't compare Creme and Mr Twister being they are similar, but the Kut Tails is a revolution in plastic worm design same as the Senko stick design blew away the plastic worm dominance it had for decades.

First off, the KT is made from a soft, spongy, heavier material that acts different than any other plastic worm. As important is the smooth body taper from a fatter front of the worm to the thin, sharply tapered tail.
[Image: WWeOXnV.jpg]

The 1/32 oz jig in the photo allows an incredible whip action near surface like no other plastic worm and all due to design.
Presentation versatility is also a factor with the KT versus a curl tail worm of the same size. Bass aren't the only ones that can't help themselves:
[Image: Mqj78PE.jpg][Image: EQY3Xyy.jpg][Image: M8VaX1d.jpg]

Even after the worm is destroyed, a segment can still catch many fish:
[Image: GjkIXSl.jpg]

So, if a lure produces better than similar lures or even unsimilar lures using certain presentations, start to discover the reason why based on lure action-by-design. Some like the Kut Tail and fluke are in a class of their own and like many YouTube videos demonstrate - catch more fish more often!

Frank
[signature]