Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear lake Saturday
Bear lake continues to try and freeze. Plenty ice to break through going out. More ice coming back in. This is the first time I have had to go to the east side to be able to fish the west side. Hope the wind blows hard this week with the storms coming in. I want to keep fishing out of the boat
Well how did u do I was thinkin of going over and braving the strom
[signature]
Brings back memories of when I have broken through the ice with my boat at Bear Lake in prior years. I keep wanting to take my boat up there but then I remember the coldest I have gotten while fishing has been from my boat on Bear Lake. I can handle colder temperatures ice fishing than I can fishing from a boat. Not being able to keep my back against the wind and being surrounded by all of that metal can be brutal. At least it looks like, from your video, that you encountered calm winds.
[signature]
12 small cutts. Kept getting moved off our spots from shifting ice. Tons of wind on the east side made it impossible to fish that side of the lake
Thanks for the report, got to say I’m one who hopes your wind don’t come. I’d love to see ice if even for a week. But the ice won’t happen only enough to make it miserable for boats. Just not cold enough this year. Good luck and stay safe. Later J
[signature]
It's a shame, because nothing beats ice fishing Bear Lake.
[signature]
Yup I’d be taken time off work if we got some ice for sure. Later J
[signature]
Unfortunately it blew it off again today. Too bad, it's one of the most fun places to ice fish.

Mike
[signature]
Thanks for the info Mike, guess it was cold last night but doubt it was enough to cap it. Plus the next storm will bring wind and warm so it won’t have enough time to make a safe thickness. Close but not quite good enough. Thanks again. J
[signature]
Can you tell if it’s actually open again? We are wanting to fish again this Saturday but I don’t want to fight the ice. Looks like wind could blow again over the next couple of days but any info or look at the lake that you can provide would be awesome and also save me a drive over with my boat in tow this weekend just to turn around and go home
When I checked the marina this morning there was a skim of ice and some light ice flows in front of the marina and mostly total open water on 90% of the lake, but totally possible to take a boat through it. For those that are still wanting to fish it in a boat it should be fine, but extra caution should be used to avoid hitting drift ice while on plane and damaging your boat. The fishing should be Awsome over the rockpile and along the east shore as it coincides with the bear lake whitefish spawn (different from the bonneville whitefish that spawn in December).

Mike
[signature]