Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard motor repair in northern Utah????
Any info on good reliable Outboard motor repair around Ogden/Willard area???

I have 2 jobs

1 I have a 2000 Mercury 150 2 stroke that I think my daughter ran out of 2 cycle and it now runs poorly like on 3 or 4 of the 6 cylinders..[pirate]

2 I have a 2006 Mercury 9.9 4 stroke that needs the carburetor rebuilt.

Thanks for any info. [Wink]
[signature]
A lot of us go to Lee's marine in Hyrum, for our motor work. He specializes in Mercury
but he works on other motors too.
[signature]
Fred's Marine in Layton is the best in the area now but at this time of year they have a 4 week wait to get into their shop.
[signature]
I have also heard really good things about Lee’s Marine in Hyrum as well from about everyone I talk to. I am going to try them next. I tried Fred’s but they don’t work on older Johnson outboards. About any reputable boat shop is going to have a sizable wait this time of year. One thing for sure, don’t go to A Rock Propeller in SLC!
[signature]
Another option, especially for one that specializes in Johnson and Evinrude, is Don's marine in Smithfield but he is even farther than Lee's, at least for those of us along the Wasatch front.
[signature]
I forgot about Don’s in Smithfield due to the distance. I have one friend who only uses Don. Good to have another option. I’m willing to drive for the right place. Thanks for the reply
[signature]
Thanks all.

I have seen the shop in Hyrum but never thought about it until you both mentioned it.

I live in Willard so that' really is not far I think I will go see what they can do..

Again thanks for the info.
and good Fishing to you all.
[signature]
Sorry you had a bad experience with A Rock. I have had nothing but great experiences with them. As have my friends that i referred to them.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
all I can say is I like LEE

[signature]
I agree. I can't stress enough how great Lee's Marine is. He'll give you the no-nonsense low down on your motors.
[signature]
Could not agree more, before going to Lee, many years ago, I can't say that I had ever seen the owner of a boat repair shop, much less talked to one. Lee is very personal and will take the time to talk to you and explain a problem even if he wasn't the one working on your boat.
That being said, I had my first time dealings with Don this year, when I bought an Evinrude as my main boat motor, this is my first experience with him and he seems cut from the same mold. I guess they use to work together year ago, before they both started their own shops. I guess there are just a bunch of good people in Cache country.
[signature]
I had a good experience with A Rock this year as well, they went out of their way to help me get a prop for my, new to me motor and even told me that a new prop would not help me get more speed out of my motor, so I did not end up buying a prop from them but I would in future, if the need arises.
[signature]
I would definitely label Don as a great mechanic too, especially for no -Mercury motors.
[signature]
[quote sliverslinger]

One thing for sure, don’t go to A Rock Propeller in SLC!

[/quote]

Interesting you would say that. Many moons ago, I had a disastrous experience (nearly burned up my boat and I broke out the rear window in my Suburban) from having them do repairs on my boat. I must say that the guy I worked with was very apologetic and it may have been just one bad experience.
[signature]
Sorry to hear that Kent. They are nice people there, but we’re servicing my engine and put it back together incorrectly which led to it over heating. Very, very costly mistake.
[signature]
I had them work on my throttle. I picked it up and took it directly to Utah Lake to test it out. On the way out of the marina the throttle started smoking because it was so hot. I was fortunate that my boat didn't catch on fire. Drove it back through the marina with my trolling motor. The guy I had back up my Suburban backed it up a little too far and in attempting to get the boat on the trailer I managed to put the bow, of my boat, through my rear window on my Suburban. It was a costly mistake. I took it to Lee's Marine and they found, as I suspected, the throttle was wired wrong and as a result it had a short in it.

I once got my boat back (not from either of these shops) and the steering was put in backwards. If I turned the steering wheel right the boat went left and vice-versa. Now that was an adventure to use that boat until I got it fixed.
[signature]
Oh, man! That is brutal! Glad nobody got hurt!
[signature]
Well went to Lee's and just like others posted they are great he hooked me up with a few item and striped me from doing things that I thought I was needing and pointed me in the correct path!!!

They are very friendly and very willing to help me out without trying to sell me stuff that i did not need 5 stars for me... Thanks all for the info...
[signature]
Wow, you already got the repairs done?
[signature]
I agree that Don and Lee were cut from the same mold !!!very friendly and helpful.. I am a DIY and I can ask Don anything and he'll tell me what to do and check.. as will Lee
[signature]