Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishlake Perch Derby
My two boys and I went to the derby today. After an early start from Richfield, we arrived to pretty steady wind which made setting up in the dark pretty tough. Luckily a very kind neighbor saw me wrestling the tent and came and helped. Perch catching was pretty steady until around 11:00 then dropped off, but never shut down. With my lack of experience on Fishlake, I pulled in the first turn to the lake which ended up not being one of the head quarters for the derby. Although it made parking easy, my older son would have won one of the first 50 perch caught prizes and I would have won first sucker caught, but the hassle of getting where they where made it impossible to get there. I see a Snodog in my near future. We ended up getting over 200 perch and a handful of small bows and splake. We got no tags. The day ended up really nice and the wind laid down enough you wouldn’t have needed a tent.
[signature]
Good job on helping reduce the numbers there in Fish Lake....Hope you enjoyed cleaning them! (still cleaning them?)...they are mighty tasty....Did I see you with boys at the perch seminar at Cabela's? Guluk...
[signature]
Looks like a good outing. How deep was the snow? Any slush?
[signature]
The snow depth was random due to drifts. It varied from 4” to 18”. Walking was brutal. There’s definitely a slush layer, it varies as well. We fished Mallard Bay and a 4 wheeler was stuck and snowmobiles were running fine. Footsteps and tracks filled up with overflow water. I didn’t shovel out for the tent and left the shavings around the hole to stay dry.
[signature]