Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long will ice stay?
The ice-fishing challenge lasts until March 15, and I intend to fish until the bitter end. Can anyone with experience and insight give me an idea of when the various lakes are likely to stay safe to fish? Will Strawberry last that long? Where do I need to fish right away before the ice goes away? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Peace
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

See attached
[signature]
well said !
[signature]
Craig,
Low elevation lakes are rapidly deteriorating now. My irrigation pond went from a good solid 8-9" on Saturday to the top 1.5" very melted out last night and I'm sure tonight will be much worse. I expect at this rate, this weekend will be the last for most low elevation lakes, if the cold temps don't return... the last couple years we were done before the first of March except for places like Strawberry or the Uintas... The end is getting very near, so pick your favorite spots and hit them soon... Time to check very carefully before you go out on, the top will start going bad and there will be a small layer of good solid black ice underneath that will hold it all together... When that black layer gets less than 2-3" the ice will soon be gone and I wouldn't trust it with my life... The top stuff will become like sugar and collapse easily it's only that bottom layer that keeps you safe... I use my spud bar a lot this time of year and I change my rules from the fall because the ice behaves differently, so now I use a few more jabs before it goes through to prove safety... In the fall on solid ice, two jabs meant the ice was safe... Now with the pile of bad stuff on top, you have to get through that before the two jab rule comes into play... But everyone needs to try this for themselves because everyone will hit harder or softer than I do and we all weigh different so the ice will hold each of us at different points... I guess I just want everyone to take extra caution right now... Later Jeff
[signature]
last year April 19 on the Soldier Creek side was fishing for Kokanee in my boat
Strawberry side still had Ice on you could not put a boat in the water

I found this Picture from deer creek 2 1 2018
have not had my boat out this year so I'm way behind.
[signature]
I think our last ice trip to Strawberry last year was March 7th and the day after a couple snowmobiles went through the ice, so we were pretty close to the end of it... That's only about a week and a couple days away... I know the ice stayed on the pond for a couple weeks after but I don't think it was safe to travel on it... Anyway I think the end of icefishing isn't far off... Later J
[signature]
Made me laugh [laugh]. The Big Hair Dryer In the Sky is turned up to 55° today down here.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Oh yes on Mama Nature temps it-is-what-it-is. But snowpack looking somewhat good for soft water. As long as it doesn’t get to warm too fast.

Hmmm wonder if grammar and punctuation patrol is reading. 😁
[signature]
Some years, back when we had a fish opener in June, Strawberry still had ice on it, not safe to walk on, but ice sitting on the water. Based upon my experience at Strawberry last weekend, I am betting we will be fishing the ice at the berry into April. The last couple of years have been warmer than usual winters. A 50 + degree temperature difference between Strawberry and the Salt Lake Valley is not uncommon.
[signature]
If you're interested in Rockport on ice, see my report today (Tues.)
[signature]
March 31st 2018 . We walked out 1/2 mile and were on 14" of ice. And last year was a dry and warm year.
I agree Strawberry will last longer but better get your low stuff in soon it’s fading really fast. Last night the top 5” are mush and I’ve only got 3-4” of good stuff underneath so I’m thinking this weekend will be the last on Cutler. Anyone checked Hyrum or Porcupine in last two days? Later J
[signature]
Going to try DC today. Just about given up on Holmes unless I can get someone to go with me. I would like to do Mantua again but haven't heard any recent reports. Long way to drive to find it no good. Let us know if you hear anything about Porcupine.
[signature]