Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry ?????'s
Hey, I'm planning on taking the fam to strawberry next weekend to catch something a little bigger than the perch that we've been enjoying lately, and I have a few questions.

I'm guessing that either the chicken creek areas or the marina are easily accessible in a minivan? (Hey, don't laugh)

How heavy of line would you suggest? I've been using 2-4 lb test, but I'm guessing that I'd want something heavier, but how much heavier?

Will there be EMT's nearby when I have a heart attack from drilling 5 holes through 2 feet of ice with my hand auger?

How long will my dead body stay fresh on the ice once I succumb to said heart attack?

Thanks for any input.
[signature]
I hear the marina rents power augers. Rent one, I really hate doing CPR (I'll be up there next Sat.).
[signature]
Cool. I have a volunteer. Actually, I know cpr, but i can't figure out how to do it on myself, and knowing my luck, i'd do it wrong anyway. I'll look into renting a power auger. Sounds like it would definitely be worth it. Thanks.
[signature]
Drilling through over 2 ft. of ice at Scofield one day was what pushed me into buying a power auger. I'm getting to old and fat for that.
[signature]
The Strawberry Bay Marina rents power augers for $25 per day. I called a couple of days ago to find out.
[signature]
[#800080][size 2]Cpr, thats what your wife is for. 8lb line is about perfect. Clear mono or flurocarbon works well. Pickup some frozen minnows and smelly jelly(craw or banana). Cut the minnows in halfs or even thirds. Hook them to paddlebugs or whatta crickets. Also, you can use foxee jigs with crawlers or meal worms.[/size][/#800080]
[signature]
Cool, thanks for all the info guys.
[signature]
You'll also find if you put in an extra 15 - 20 minutes of walking time to get away from the crowds, you'll do better!!
MB
[signature]
I think that's an excellent suggestion. I always try to get away from the crowds anyways. It's more peaceful that way.
[signature]

[signature]
I have been using four and six pound test up at Strawberry this year and it has been fine as long as you know how to use your drag and play the fish. This weekend there I learned how to use the snap bobber trick and saw more bites than I would have if I had not used the bobber. I second the notion to get away from the crowds. There are plenty of cuts to be had but if you want Rainbows you need to stay shallow. Good luck and let us know how you do.
[signature]
I got 5 bows two saturdays back {14th} one came from 11 ft. the other 4 from 21 ft. They ranged from 20in. down too 14in. all nice and plump. We were fishing the S.C. side
MB
[signature]