Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolling motor
just a quick question has anyone had any experience with the tohatsu 9.9 trolling motor. the dealer tells me they are the same as the mercury. thanks
[signature]
I just about bought one exactly that size but it was a short shaft and did not work for my boat. The guy let me test it out and it ran great and yes, they are a cheaper version of Mercury.
[signature]
If you are willing to buy new look at the big Suzuki dealer on the west coast.
I got my 9.9 EFI, electric start, 12 amp alternator, long shaft, power trim/tilt delivered for exactly $2600 last fall.
I gave the local Tohatsu dealer (Tohatsu are excellent motors) a chance to match it and they wouldn't even try.
[signature]
I had exactly the same one that was on my previous boat. It was a 97 motor and never failed me. Sold it to a friend with the boat 3yrs ago and its still going strong today. I was able to ad a charging kit to it but starter kits became obsolete to obtain since it was getting up in age. I have nothing bad to say about it performance. I would definitely own another Tohatsu.
[signature]
check this out may be the same one

new
Suzuki 9.9 HP DF9.9BTHX2 Outboard Motor
$1,283.00
Shaft Length: 25" (Extra Long)
Starting: Electric
[signature]
That is a different motor, not the high thrust model I bought, mine also has power trim and tilt.
That is a good motor for a car topper boat or something not dedicated to trolling.
Good find though and a good price!
[signature]
Why would the Suzuki not be good for someone dedicated to trolling?
[signature]
Sorry Elk, I should have been more clear...
I love Suzukis, they are an excellent trolling motor and I have their 9.9 on my boat, but in a high thrust model.
In fact, I wish my big motor was a 'Zuke.
I pull bottom bouncers and squids most of the time and my motor lets me troll down to 1.2 mph, no trolling bucket or sock needed.
A high thrust model also provides much better boat control than a traditionally propped motor.
If you only troll occasionally or do not need to troll that slowly a traditional prop should work fine.
Here is a trick to slow a traditional motor down if needed, either raise or lower your motor to make it struggle against the hull speed of your boat, essentially making your motor less effective at pushing your boat.
Just dont raise it enough that your water pump tattle-tell does not get the water needed to operate effectively.
[signature]
hi, i think that website could be a scam.
[signature]
I have a 20 hp Tohatsu on a 16 foot boat and it is great.
[signature]
[quote SBennett]That is a different motor, not the high thrust model I bought, mine also has power trim and tilt.
That is a good motor for a car topper boat or something not dedicated to trolling.
Good find though and a good price![/quote]

I'm thinking about buying a kicker
I want a Shaft Length: 25" (Extra Long) I'm hoping that is not to long, the one I have now is 20" and I don't like it.

what one do you have and what is the website
[signature]
A XL was too long for my boat and would drag, but maybe your transom has more freeboard than mine by the sounds of it and you can get away with hanging an XL.
Does your boat use a motor mount for the kicker or does it mount directly to the transom?
Everything about my motor has been A+ except the throttle lock, it is a junk little piece of plastic. I am adding an iTroll with Hunt Mode so it is not a big deal to me.
I really debated between a used T8 which is a fantastic motor but not available in EFI.
The EFI won out.
I will post a pic for you tomorrow or if you are in Riverton let me know and you can drop in and we can pull some measurements.
[signature]
They only sell 2.5-30 hp but shipping is free right to your house.
The web site is www.porta-bote.com.
I want to say the guys name was Bob but I am not 100% sure.
He was very pleasant to deal with.
[signature]
thanks for the website

I have the Itroll and I love it could not live without it

this one is like yours but with the 25 inch long shaft, not sure if I dare buy from them.
I will PM you my Number and come and look at your motor.

Price: $1,784.

Suzuki 9.9 HP DF9.9BTHX2 Outboard Motor
Price: $1,784.00
Brand: Suzuki Outboards
Condition: New
Availability: In Stock
Shipping: $155.00 (Fixed shipping cost)
Minimum Purchase: 1 unit(s)

Robert
[signature]
The specs describe my kicker but the price 'feels' to good to be true but you never know.
The equivalent Tohatsu to mine was appx $2900, the Merc about $3200, and Yammy about $3400 so I was pretty sure I did my due diligence in spending my money responsibly.
Maybe I did not get a good as deal as I thought.....
[signature]
most in the USA for the 25' shaft was over $2700.
if that motor is any good you got a good dill.

I just ordered it used Paypal cost $1939.00
It is saturday in Singapore so may not get a tracking number till some times next week. then I will stop worrying they say it takes Estimate time delivery 8- 21 Business days Worldwide by Epackage , Fedex or DHL Shipping company
[signature]
Thanks for the explanation S
[signature]
I got busy and forgot the pic I promised, sorry.
When I ordered my boat I ordered the factory kicker bracket. The Suzuki also came with perfect hardware to additionally bolt my motor to the bracket, which I highly recommend doing.
Upon taking delivery I followed the instructions to register my motor for the warranty which was also a very easy process.
The motor is an A+ and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.
Good luck Robert, I hope you will also post up a pic of your install.
If you live close to Riverton give me a call if you need help installing it, I love working on boats.
[signature]
Thanks

I think we took over this post

I just received a email said they were getting ready to ship.

we may live close to each other I'm close to 13400 south walmart

I have a 2013 Merc 9.9 that is getting water in the oil.
and it is not coming in from the gaskets
So do I fix it are buy a new one and sell the Merc. it runs good and has good compression, I been changing the oil every time I used it.
What I did not like about it is if I went over 1.6 mph the fishfinder picked up noise.
and it had a hard time pushing my boat over 2.5 mph

I think you asked me about fish Lake kokanee, maybe this year we can come up with a day and worked together finding them.
Robert
[signature]
If it is a 4-stroke.
Give that oil a real good smell and determine if it is fuel in the oil, much more common than water and a cheap fix by replacing the thermostats and draining and replacing the oil.
Just a suggestion, PM me if you would like further detail.
[signature]