Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sometimes ya gotta take a stand .
[font "Arial"][#8b0000][size 3]Outdoor Writer/Photographer Ticketed For Feeding Deer in Presque Isle Park
[/size][/#8b0000][/font]
[font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]Marquette Mich. — An outdoors photographer and writer who unsuccessfully sued the state after being convicted of illegally feeding deer at Presque Isle Park has been ticketed again on the same charge.
Richard P. Smith was cited recently after a patrolman saw him dropping off cedar boughs to feed deer, Marquette Police Det. Capt. Mike Angeli told The Mining Journal. Neither Smith nor his attorney could be reached for comment.
Smith is accused of violating a Michigan DNR order prohibiting supplemental deer feeding. The misdemeanor charge is punishable by up to 90 days in jail.
Smith was found guilty on the same charge May 2002. He filed suit that December against the DNR and the Marquette County prosecutor’s office.
He claimed a DNR rule barring supplemental deer feeding on public lands without a permit should not apply to the Upper Peninsula.
The lawsuit was dismissed by a circuit court judge last February and by the Michigan Court of Appeals in October. Smith appealed to the Michigan Supreme Court in November, but it has not said if it will hear his case. [/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
What part of NO doesn't he understand? If you do it once and get caught, why see if you can get away with it one more time?? Some people never learn.
[signature]
IN THAT AREA I FEEL THE GUY WAS IN THE RIGHT .

THE DEBT. OF AGRICULTURE SEES IT THAT WAY TOO , NOW .

SINCE THEN PERMITS TO FEED THE DEER ARE NOW AVAILIBLE .

THE LAW IS THE LAW , BUT IT DOSEN'T MEEN IT'S ALWAYS RIGHT , SOMETIMES YA GOTTA TAKE A STAND FOR "THE RIGHT THING TO DO " .

LAKE EFFECT SNOW OFF OF LAKE SUPERIOR IS THE LARGEST CONTRIBUTING FACTOR TO DEER STARVATION FOR THAT AREA , UP TO 60% OF THE HEARD IN THAT AREA CAN BE LOST DURING A SINGLE STORM .
[signature]
[url "http://www.michiganoutdoornews.com/MICHIGANOUTDOORNEWS/myarticles.asp?P=894264&S=566&PubID=12002"][font "Arial"][#000000][size 3]Supplemental feeding resumes in the Upper[/size][/#000000][/font][/url]
[font "Arial"][#000000][size 2]
Lansing — The Natural Resources Commission last week approved an interim order allowing residents in parts of the Upper Peninsula to obtain supplemental deer feeding permits.
The order, which will allow supplemental feeding in Lake Superior watershed counties, was passed with a 6-1 vote on Feb. 6. It’s valid for one year and will be reviewed in 2005. A similar order to remove the ban failed last year on a 4-3 vote.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
It looks like they are trying to make the situation better. How much does it cost for a deer feeding permit??
[signature]
I wonder if anyone will figure out how to use their feeding permit in conjunction with their hunting permit. Deer Chumming! [sly] Although I'm sure it would be illegal, you never know how some people will enterpret the law..
[signature]
well this almost sounds like a conversation we had before, haha well i,m also lookin at it, too, like a stray dog that comes to your door, ya feed em once, they expect it, look fer it and then its either you keep him fer your own or ya shoot him give him away, cause they expect your gonna do it again. what if this person starts it and doesnt do it anymore or no one else takes the job over to keep feedin em, what gonna happen to the deer also. i think the deer would stay around that area waitin on someone to come and they never come. whats the difference twixt that dog or the deer??? when theres no feed in the area and won,t leave. one is different than 50, but ya start feedin one your gonna git more and more, toll your feedin the whole state. wouldnt it be beter fer humans to go out and plant plants that will grow and keep growin eack year, trees whatever, in areas that will sustain these trees plants?? somethin their use to? eatin. so that when a deer sees human, it wont click"FOOD'! when they see human?? what is the difference twixt the both. if i wanted to hep, thats what i,d do, rather than givin money, or truckin stuff, cuase ya dont know where its gonna go in the first place and further more, what the matter with the game warden, why cant they git out and git off there fat everlovins and do some plantin like this that would hep out the deer anyways when it seems to me its goes along with keepin there job and theor deer herds alive so they still got a job. cause if ya aint got the animals in the first place, or good woods they aint got a job anyways. da! what i cant figure, is the state gits paid fer alot, but what do they do fer their own state, it ticks me off. they leave it up to the ones who pay all the bills to do it and they do -----. whats wrong here?? or is it me?? it even happens here!
[signature]
hear ya there! had some git caught up here last year puttin out cornmeal, grain, i still dont like this feedin the deer thing. but lonehunter explained before that they will starve because of no feed so it,s realy a bad situation in his area, i still would rather have someone plant plants then or cut the old trees so,s they will grow new. excavatin the land so,s new growth forms, fer em. seems though thees somethin could be done rather then them dependin on humans to feed em. i just can,t git it i guess. i know it,s different than when your in the situation but still, what kinds of trees do they have there to eat?? can there be transplanted trees they,d eat?? like our. from what i been lookin at on hte forums talkin to ya the climate seems pretty much the same. why not transplant vegetation and trees?well i can,t see why not.anybody out there to talk or what to me bout this???[unsure]
[signature]
GUESS NOT![crazy][shocked][unsure][unimpressed]
[signature]