Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braid to Fluorocarbon Leader?
Over the weekend I spooled one of my reels with braid for the first time to try it out. Being a complete rookie with braid, I’m trying to find out how to rig it - knots, leaders, etc. Reading the knot thread plus some internet searches I think I’ll try the FG or 6 turn surgeon knot to tie a leader to the braid. From my searches, there seams to be less and conflicting information on leader length to tie to the braid. The pro’s and con’s I’ve seen are getting a long leader to separate it from the braid for visibility reasons and also issues with knots going through the rod guides. Is anyone willing to share some thoughts and experience for what has worked well for them or what to avoid? I primarily plan to fish jigs, swimbaits, and rapalas with this set up. Thanks in advance!
[signature]
CJ,

I beg you to strongly consider using the "Double Uni Knot" (also called the uni-to-uni knot). It is quite easy to tie and is fantastic for dissimilar type lines (like braid-to-floro).

I've been using the fluorocarbon-to-braid for about 15 years now and totally rely on the Double Uni Knot to connect these dissimilar lines.

--- Coot ---
[signature]
Another vote for the double uni knot. Works great and is easy to tie.
[signature]
The reverse Albright is also a good one, I use it for all my reels that I have a top shot on (mono to braid)
http://knots3d.com/knots/en_us/73/yucatan-knot
[signature]
Third vote for the double uni. As others have said, works great (almost 100% strength), easy to tie and you can trim the tags off almost right at the knot(s) so it goes through guides without issue. Braid, flouro, mono, no problems.
[signature]
Double uni knot for me as well. Depending on line diameter I usually use 5 or 6 uni knots and about 3' of fluoro for the leader. Most other knots will slip with braid. If you're trying braid directly to a lure use the palomar knot.
[signature]
I use the uni to uni knot as well and it works fine for strength, and going through the guides when casting.

I like to use a lower strength flouro leader, and about 4 or 5 feet long. Most of the time if I snag the lure and have to break it off, there is enough leader left to tie on and keep fishing at least a few times, before having to tie on another flouro leader.

In a pinch I have tied the lure directly to the braid, to be able to keep on fishing. Haven't noticed that it spooks the fish at all. My two cents.
[signature]
The FG knot is my go to because it is so much smoother when casting.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I've used the uni-knot for all my fishing needs since I first discovered it in 1975. I had never heard about the FG knot until last week when my died in the wool bass fishing buddy sent me a couple videos on it. He is always looking for better techniques in his fishing. Stronger and smoother than a uni for braid to mono. But wow - much more difficult to master and tie. I'm pretty sure I'll just continue to use the double uni for my 2 bass rods that have braided line.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I like to use a long leader, sometimes 10 feet. The main reason is because braid to fluoro knots are so darn pesky to tie that I want lots of leader to use up before I have to replace it.

I like the uni-uni but find that the leader side of the knot is pretty bulky since the leader is so much thicker than the braid. I now favor the Red Phillips knot or the Alberto because all the wraps are done with the braid, leaving a much smaller knot.

My latest trick with the Alberto or Albright is to tie a small weight to the end of the braid and "spin" the wraps on rather than wrap them with my fingers. It is ten times faster and leaves a tighter set of wraps than finger wrapping. It leaves a knot as smooth as a wrapped line guide.

The FG is a very hard knot to tie with the pound test leaders we use. Fine for 80-lb saltwater leaders, but a genuine booger with supple 10-lb fluoro.
[signature]
agreed- Braid to Fluorocarbon- Alberto knot.
[signature]
In my opinion the FG is the best knot, but difficult to tie well. I've also been happy with the double uni, but it's bulky. I never tie a leader so long that it ends up in my reel when my lure is ready to cast, so usually from 3' to 7' at most. That being the case, the more bulky uni knot isn't as big a factor. If you want a long leader that will wrap on your reel then the FG will make all the difference since you can trim it super tight so no tag ends will catch on the other line wraps and mess up your casts.

If you're fishing braid to flip for bass in heavy cover or if you're fishing in dingy water, you don't need any leader. You really only need the leader in clear snag-free waters.
[signature]
You Tube ' easy FG knot'. Much easier than most of the methods to tie it !!
I tried the double uni and did NOT like it due to it being pretty bulky. I then tried what used to be called the "modified Albright" but is now called the "Alberto Knot". This knot looks easy to tie, but it takes a little practice with finger placement. Once you get it, then its easy to tie. I have NEVER had one slip and the thin diameter of the knot flows through guides VERY easy. When tying it, I make the "loop" with my mono/flouro and then tie the knot with my superline. I tried it both ways and this way works the best. Give it a try for sure.
[signature]