Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost Spring on mid Weber/0wt rod
Hit the middle Weber today. Lots of BWOs coming off. Fishing was at least twice a fast as the lower Weber yesterday. 15 degrees warmer and a fair bit more water moving goes a long way. Caught mostly browns and similar size to yesterday. Did catch 2 other species- a whitefish and a small mouth bass. The bass probably was just under a foot. Dries and nymphs worked well. Surprisingly I didn’t catch anything on streamers.

I also tried out another birthday present today. It is a $43 6 ft 1/0 wt 4 pc Aventik fly rod. Easily fits in a carry on luggage.I tried it at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Creek. It casts surprisingly well for a cheapo Chinese rod. On BCC stealth is critical. In a few open spots I could accurately cast 35-40 ft. It’s a midflex rod that should be easy for most to cast well. I have four 1 and 2 wt rods already. Comparing this rod those I’d have to say this is probably closer to a 0 wt rod than a 1 wt. BCC also had a BWO hatch as well as some smaller stoneflies hatching as well.
[signature]
Man you’ll have to show me sometime, I only catch whitefish on that section. Admittedly though I don’t fish it often haha
[signature]
I fished far more below Echo than above. However with a BWO hatch it’s fairly easy to cast to fish feeding on the surface and land a few. Can’t really go wrong with nymphs ever in there. Landed a 14 inch brown on my 4th cast after starting with a Prince. Just got to get the nymph down in front of feeding fish for descent stretches of time even if you get less dead drift as a result. I don’t think there is an shortage of fish in that section but I rarely catch anything over 18 inches there. Not sure if there are fewer big fish or I just don’t know where to find them as well as the Lower Weber.
Now Big Cottonwood was actually more challenging. I stayed low in the canyon so not to have to deal with much snow. Spent some time casting sitting, squatting or on my knees. Between all the tight spaces and spooky fish I only managed 2 small browns. Perfect place for the 6ft 0wt rod to be broken in. Even then I lost 1 fly to the trees. The browns were spunkier in there with both going airborne a few times. For $43 on Amazon I don’t think you’ll find a better small stream rod. I’m not a distance champ casting so for me to cast 35-40 ft and still retain the 1-2 inch accuracy I expect is really saying something about this rod. Including a picture of one of the little BCC browns.
[signature]