Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo Whites and Carp
I got out of class at 5 yesterday (3/12) and decided to make a quick trip to Provo Harbor before the weather rolled in. Only took one rod with a 1/16th oz jighead and purple/chartreuse bps grub. Arrived around 5:45 and began fishing for whites around the boat docks at the back of the harbor. Not to long after starting I hooked a bigger fish than I was expecting and brought in a 5lb carp on my ultralight rod. Not what I was expecting, but fun on the ultralight and 4lb test none the less. Just a few minutes later I hooked another carp but lost it near shore. Over the next half hour I hooked and lost 3 more carp around the same size. I figure I was losing them due to the small hook size on the jig heads. About 30 minutes before sun set the white bass suddenly came alive and were much more active. Between 7 and 7:30 I caught 7 whites all on the same purple/chartreuse grub. Then right before dark I hooked and caught a much larger carp that was a true test of the 4lb test. I've caught a few carp on grubs and other plastics before but hooking 6 in a short 2 hour session is definitely a record. Not sure why they were so active on the grubs but it provided some fun before the cats really move into the shallower water. I may have to head down again after this storm and take some of my Euro style carp gear and try to land a couple bigger ones while starting to fish for the catfish contest.

On another note, last Saturday I made a quick trip to Salem pond/lake to hopefully catch a couple trout to take home for dinner. I'm not much of an ice fisherman so it'd been a while since I'd had any fresh fish. Started off throwing various rooster tails, jerkbaits, and tubes but only caught one very small bass on a jerkbait. Eventually I decided to use a bit of powerbait hoping to get a couple before leaving. With that, it didn't take long to catch a couple decent rainbows. Made a great dinner especially considering the time since I'd last had any good fish.

It's been a crazy good ski season, but the warming weather and water temps are sure exciting for the upcoming spring fishing. Tight lines!
[signature]
Nice report and thanks for sharing "the attack of the carp." I've never seen that many hit in such a short time either. Your arms will be in good shape for the catfish though[Wink]
[signature]