Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Road/Ice Conditions?
I've never ice fished at Flaming Gorge, but I'm considering a trip over this weekend. Does anyone have a recent report on road/ice conditions? I'm considering hitting the Buckboard area, but I drive a Subaru and just wondering if I would have trouble getting down to the lake after this last storm/wind with snow, etc.

Also - any other ideas on where to go this time of year would be appreciated. I'm looking to target some lake trout. Gotta get my fix since Bear Lake never froze this year.

Thanks in advance for any information!
[signature]
Road conditions are going to be questionable due to the amount of wind and snow we've received the last 24-hours (up to 10 inches). The paved roads are typically plowed, like the one to Buckboard Marina, so you should be fine with a Subaru. Some of the dirt roads may be passable if other anglers get in there break the drifts/snow before you get here.

Ice conditions have still been great, and contrary to lower elevation waters, actually on the increase. Buckboard reportedly has around 18-inches.

Hope that helps and good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Great information. Thanks. I'm likely headed over myself, so I'll probably stick to Buckboard where I'm likely to see some other people.
[signature]
I was up to Flaming Gorge last Fri, Sat, and Sunday morning. Went to Anvil Draw and spent the entire night Friday. Caught 4 burbot and 1 laker pup the first night. Caught 2 of the burbot in about 40 FOW and The other 2 burbot and laker in 70 FOW. I was using a Yamamoto glow grub with a bit of sucker meat for all of them. Charged it often to keep it glowing. Best bite was from about 11:00 pm to around 2:00ish. Ice was 15+ inches and was popping and cracking all night. Made it really difficult to catch a little shut eye. Went back out Saturday night from 8:30 to midnight in the same spot 40 FOW. I had my wife with me and she hadn't caught anything so me being the gentleman I am I let her use the pole that had caught the night before. She got a few bites but couldn't keep them on the hook. I on the other hand switched to a Maniac Orange glow Cut r bug and hooked into 2 more burbot and a nice laker pup. Sunday we tried out on the channel to try for more pups but got nothing. The road into Anvil was fine but a little muddy Friday because of the warm temps. We've tried different spots Throughout the season including Firehole, Buckboard, and Anvil. Caught a couple each trip but this last weekend was definitely the best. Good luck!!!!
[signature]