Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Rockport Trip - Fri. Mar. 15, FISH ON
Sometimes just plain luck, sometimes just good timing....today, my last day here, good timing....This past Tues., day before a big storm, bites and catching was just "fair", and today, 2 days after the storm, and after 3 nites of very cold temps at Rockport, the bite was definitely on again....the 3 very cold nites made getting on the ice a breeze....we had brought along a 10' ext. ladder, and plank, and never had to use it...same with 2 other guys that followed us out onto the 14/15" ice....edges very solid for us, at least for today....Tomorrow You May Need That Plank or 10' Ladder again!! ..... for sure by Sunday or Monday....My grandson and I had a great ice outing...he said his best perch fishing trip ever....our catch ratio was about 1 out of 4 or 5.....He iced 16 keepers and a rainbow, good average size up to 9.5".....I iced 18 keepers, 1 jumbo 11.5"..... so yes, we had tons of bites....The other 2 guys also did very well on this sunny, pleasant day....Hard to believe no one else on the whole res. today....I'd say a longer ext. ladder would get you out on thick ice the next few days, but that's just my opinion---no guarantees....always think safety first....Perch On...and Guluk....
[signature]
It sounds like a fun trip for both of you. I'm glad you timed it right and you were able to stay a bit ahead of the grandson[Wink] Thanks for the report and keep them coming!
[signature]
Yeah, he's a good kid, now an older teen ager...trying to teach him right in the ways of the great outdoors, as his dad is one of those 'workaholics', and nothing is as important as his work....Big missed opportunity....Last year I got him trained up pretty good on my boat(ing) techniques, trolling, etc., and in the Fall he outshot me once pretty good on a dove hunt when we switched out his Youth 20 for my older Rem 870 in 12 ga....So he's coming along pretty good, except now he has a girlfriend, and he's been accepted in the Air Force delayed entry program, so he'll be a 'gonner' pretty soon...but hey....
[signature]
Great report Joe, glad you had one last ice outing. So you did not even need the plank, you walked right on and off the ice?
[signature]
Hey Curt -- Yup, same access point....I did have my heavy walking stick so I could poke, prod, and try smashing the ice, but good and solid....and of course, a little softer coming out at 2:00, but we still didn't bust through....It'd be nice to know if anyone made it out today (Sat.) or Sunday....hope we can get out somewhere again soon....good sharing that spot with you guys.....
[signature]
Wow, that is amazing it got that much better in just a few days. Enjoyed getting out with you too, hopefully we can get out this Summer.
[signature]