Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continue fishing after limit
When I was out fishing with a bunch of guys a few days ago the question came up as to whether you could continue fishing after you had kept your full limit. I thought I had read that you could. Couldn't find it in the book but I looked it up today.

It is found on page 20 of the 2019 Fishing Guidebook. One may continue fishing so long as any fish of the species caught are immediately released. Some anglers may feel it unethical to do so and stop fishing one shy of a limit in case they injure a fish and don't want to return it to the water as it would only die there. I don't know when this change was made.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Wow, that's good to know. I don't think it's the same here in Idaho.
[signature]
I know I’ve read that before and I’ve fished after I’ve reached the limit but I never thought about getting a foul or gut hook and one diving so from now on I’m going to stop.
[signature]
It's not a change. We had this discussion several years ago. It got rather heated. If you couldn't continue to fish while in possession of a full limit you wouldn't be able to fish anywhere with slot limits, size limits, anywhere with endangered and therefore prohibited species, even Bear Lake with the naturally spawned Cutthroats. After it had gone round and round for a few weeks the Utah Attorney General's Liaison to the UDWR set the record straight. It's simply a clarification.

The idea of staying one shy of the limit doesn't work when there are size limits or slot limits or protected species. What if the first fish of the day is within the protected slot, and it is injured?

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
You wrote:

"After it had gone round and round for a few weeks the Utah Attorney General's Liaison to the UDWR set the record straight. It's simply a clarification."

I'm not clear what this means. Could you please explain a little more?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I'm glad you brought it up as I have been wondering myself. Thanks for the info. Fishrmn also brings up a good point.

I also like to play it safe and if I want to continue fishing stop 1 shy of the limit. However a lot of my fishing is catch and real ease anyways. It also depends on the species...if your fishing for something like Kokes you cant expect to successfully catch and release.
[signature]
I think that the law is to allow us to continue fishing when in a multi-species water. i.e fishing for bluegill at Mantua after you have caught your limit of trout or bass. So you can still fish for the bluegill to be served up at the family gathering.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
That may be the motivation behind the law; however, it applies to all waters and one can continue to fish for the species that one has already kept a limit.
[signature]
Heck I stop short of a limit all the time, Although not by choice.
[signature]
You are right, this subject has come up before and unless you are speaking about another thread, one member stated he receive a ticket for continuing to fish at Bear lake after he caught his limit. I guess they were out ice fishing and the DWR guy that gave him the ticket was fishing nearby, as soon as he had brought up one Cutt over his limit, the DWR officer walked over and gave him the ticket, without even giving the member a chance to release the fish. He told the member that he was breaking the law to continue to fish after he had his limit. Now of course this is hear say, because I wasn't there and who knows if he fought the ticket, he might have won but that was the story.
[signature]
[quote Koko21]I'm glad you brought it up as I have been wondering myself. Thanks for the info. Fishrmn also brings up a good point.

I also like to play it safe and if I want to continue fishing stop 1 shy of the limit. However a lot of my fishing is catch and real ease anyways. It also depends on the species...if your fishing for something like Kokes you cant expect to successfully catch and release.[/quote]

I'm usually happy to get off the water and take a nap when we get our limit of kokes and have been up since before dawn, but I know you mentioned this due to their high mortality rate. We will target macs if it's early enough in the day but really try to take a nap if possible, man that makes me look old!
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]You are right, this subject has come up before and unless you are speaking about another thread, one member stated he receive a ticket for continuing to fish at Bear lake after he caught his limit. I guess they were out ice fishing and the DWR guy that gave him the ticket was fishing nearby, as soon as he had brought up one Cutt over his limit, the DWR officer walked over and gave him the ticket, without even giving the member a chance to release the fish. He told the member that he was breaking the law to continue to fish after he had his limit. Now of course this is hear say, because I wasn't there and who knows if he fought the ticket, he might have won but that was the story.[/quote]

If this story is true than neither the angler nor the officer knew the rule which is very clear and says (word for word):

"You may continue to fish while in possession of a full daily limit, but you must immediately release any additional fish you catch"

Either way, it pays to know the current rules and regulations. You never know when you are going to be challenged/questioned. So thanks to Catchinon for bringing this up!
[signature]
The discussion lasted for several days, and was on a couple of forums. I was directed to the Liaison for the UDWR, and we had a conversation about it. An employee of the UDWR sent me a private message stating that he agreed, but he wouldn't say it on the forum.

Quote:b) The Strawberry River and its tributaries upstream from USFS Road 124 (Bull Springs Road) to the headwaters, Co-op Creek and its tributaries upstream from US-40 to the head- waters, Soldier Creek, Coal Canyon, Cow Hollow, Trout Creek, Sage Creek, Chicken Creek, Little Co-op Creek, Clyde Creek, Mud Creek, Bryants Fork, Horse Creek, Chipman Creek, Trail Hollow, Broad Hollow, Pine Hollow, Badger Hollow and Road Hollow.
• Catch and release only. (All fish must be immediately released. It is illegal to fish if you have any fish in possession.)

If your limit is zero fish, then you'd better not fish if you feel the need to stay one below the limit.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...50;#233550

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
I went back and finally found the post and it appears my memory has faded, since it was posted 10 years ago but here is a link to the thread, see reply 28:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...507;page=2
[signature]
[quote fish_hntr][quote Koko21]I'm glad you brought it up as I have been wondering myself. Thanks for the info. Fishrmn also brings up a good point.

I also like to play it safe and if I want to continue fishing stop 1 shy of the limit. However a lot of my fishing is catch and real ease anyways. It also depends on the species...if your fishing for something like Kokes you cant expect to successfully catch and release.[/quote]

I'm usually happy to get off the water and take a nap when we get our limit of kokes and have been up since before dawn, but I know you mentioned this due to their high mortality rate. We will target macs if it's early enough in the day but really try to take a nap if possible, man that makes me look old![/quote]

I'm 26 and the same way, Up early to fish kokes, then roll over to lakers, then catch my limit of mid day ZZZ's
[signature]
I have read all the posts, and I don't see anyone discussing details of "how" they continue fishing.

At flaming gorge, we caught our limit of trout. We continued to fish, but changed to tactics for smallmouth bass, moving along the shoreline and casting/retrieving artificial baits. Yes, we might have caught a trout, but chances were very small using these tactics. We did catch smallmouth and no trout.

Ice fishing at Rockport, I have caught a limit of trout, fishing 15 feet down in 40 feet of water. I continued to fish, but switched tactics and fished the bottom with a perch setup. Yes, probably a chance of catching a trout on the bottom, but there was enough perch activity that no trout bit.

So, seems to me the conundrum of concerns about continuing to fish can be reduced by discontinuing fishing with the methods you have successfully caught your limit. Hopefully you are on a water that has multispecies that can be targeted with different tactics.

Not to stir anything up. Just my two cents.
[signature]

Quote:Either way, it pays to know the current rules and regulations. You never know when you are going to be challenged/questioned. So thanks to Catchinon for bringing this up!

This is the first state I can remember fishing in that puts out a new "proclamation" (Guide Book) every year. That has been quite helpful to me on a couple occasions. I carry a copy of the most current Guide Book in all of my tackle boxes / bags and on my boat.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
If you have a live well, and the fish haven't been in there long, you could conceivably "cull" a healthy live well fish in order to keep an injured "one over" fish. But if you put fish on a stringer or on ice, you have no option to release the injured extra fish and wish it the best.

There's no moral difference between catch and release with a limit and just catch and release.
[signature]
I thought about mentioning this before and didn't because I'm kind of a worrywart sometimes, but since you warm water fish guys don't fish trout much I thought I'd point out this trout rule:

When calculating your daily limit, please remember the following rules: • Any trout, salmon or grayling not immediately released is part of your daily limit. • A trout, salmon or grayling may not be released if it’s been held in or on a stringer, fish basket, livewell or by any other device.

It's important to note because once you've hit your trout limit on the stringer, you can't release any no matter how happy and healthy they are.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]If you have a live well, and the fish haven't been in there long, you could conceivably "cull" a healthy live well fish in order to keep an injured "one over" fish. But if you put fish on a stringer or on ice, you have no option to release the injured extra fish and wish it the best.

There's no moral difference between catch and release with a limit and just catch and release.[/quote]

Once a trout has been placed in a live well is yours, and it is illegal to release it.

Quote:When calculating your daily limit, please remember the following rules:
• Any trout, salmon or grayling not imme- diately released is part of your daily limit.
• A trout, salmon or grayling may not be released if it’s been held on a stringer or in a fish basket, livewell or any other type of device.

[signature]