Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake
Hey ya'all fishing dudes and dudets. I have been a stalker on this site for a long time gathern great tips and ideas for my next family adventure - figured maybe it was time to give back a bit, so opened an account and, ya going to try to share.

Just a bit of background. My wife "Cookie" has MS and my middle son "Buckwheat the bearded wonder" is disabled and in a chair from birth so a lot of our adventures are making that work in the outdoors, but we get it done

onto a report

Yukon the cowboy-pirate and his band hit Utah and Willard this weekend. Started Friday at Utah lake. Pushed the wheel chair out to the end of the south dike at Lincoln and threw out a couple catfish rods. Zero action. Tossed a bunch of plastic and steel trying to make a whitie mad, but also struck out on that with just a couple light hits and no hookups. Water was low 40ish. Sad to see all the trash on the dike, wished I would have had a garbage bag with me. I know its a bit early for Utah Lake, but man was it pretty.

Wandered towards Willard saturday. Got side tracked on the bird refuge first watching the swans. Then got the itch to drag out the metal detector - found lots of sinkers but no pirate treasure. That only left us a bit of daylight, but just to say we did we tossed in a rod on the south dike at Willard. Also no action. We did see a lot of CATMEN on the banks in the refuge. Saw one confirmed catch on cutbait.

Its going to be a great spring. Cant wait to hit Powell. Keep the lid on the worms and wave if you see the pirate crew.
[signature]
Great big welcome to ya Cowboy. Don't give up on Utah Lake yet, several of us BFTers were out there Saturday with the same results your family had. It will get better as the weather warms.

Good on ya for getting the pirate and your wife out. Always fun fishing with family. My wife and two of my kids have MS so I am familiar with the misery it can cause. Life goes on and you just have to make the best of it you can and it sounds like that is what you are doing.

Looking forward to more posts from you with more successful trips.

BLK
[signature]
Welcome to BFT and thanks for posting. Great you make it out fishing despite the physical challenges.
[signature]
Hi Cowboy, welcome. What type of metal detector do you swing? I like to look for gold and have two Minelab gold machines. That would be a topic for the Off Topic site here, not fishing, so when I get a minute I will go there and start a Metal Detecting post, and show my gold nuggets. Watch for it.
[signature]
Welcome to the community. I think you enjoy this site while making new friends and picking up lots of tips. Good on ya!
[signature]
What was that website that showed lake and reservoir water levels?
[signature]
Wow 3 with MS, we need to swap some stories and maybe share some Advil or Tums. Maybe both. Do they always out fish ya, my pirate crew does.
[signature]
Welcome, welcome to one and all.

You wrote:

"Sad to see all the trash on the dike, wished I would have had a garbage bag with me."

BFT recently adopted Lincoln Beach; you know, like the Adopt A Highway program. We will be having our first of three official cleanup days at the end of April. In the meantime we want to keep things picked up the best we can as we go. Other dates will be in June and September. Hope to see you out there sometime soon.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I will watch for the post in the other area. But I think it will be okay to say we were fishing with ultalight rods for panfish, heavy cat rods for the cats (overkill as we had them when we lived in Alabama for a few years and needed some serious backbone in a rod for blues that often went plus 30lbs and up - got some great photos of those whisker kittys), and a new Garrett AT Max for the pirate treasure. Its a hoot but often gets us off track and missing bites.
[signature]
Love to help with the clean up. I bet my Lake Powell trip will conflict with your first clean up date, but I will have a garbage bag in tow next time we swing over to the happy valley (likely next weekend) and put in some time on the dike garbage.
[signature]
[quote AlexB]What was that website that showed lake and reservoir water levels?[/quote]

Which lake and reservoir levels were you interested in?
[signature]