Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Buckles?
Just purchased some boat buckles and installed them yesterday. I think they are going to work well for me. It's hard as I'm getting older to get under my boat and attach ratchet straps. The buckles seem to be easy to use.

I read a review that was written about three years ago. It said to throw away the hardware and buy some from your local hardware store. I should have listened. I tried to use the hardware and the nut threaded on just beyond the end of the bolt and then locked up. It wouldn't come off. I had to cut it with a grinder.

Just wondering if anyone has used boat buckles and if you like them? Have you had the same issues with the hardware?
[signature]
I’ve purchased the boat buckles and installed on my previous boat. No hardware issues and the buckles were awesome. Quick to connect and remove. No messing around with the removable ones.

Our new boat came with them installed and I believe are now standard equipment on new boat trailers.

I think you’re going to like them.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I wouldn't own a boat trailer without them. All of mine have been installed by a boat shop so I can't opine on the hardware.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have them and I love them. I had the same problem with the hardware you did. I tried tightening the first one by hand and it got stuck. I have a professional grade 1/2 inch drive impact that couldn't budge it on or off but it put so much torque on it it bent the bolt. I wound up using a cutoff grinder to get it off as well. The manufacturer is aware of the problem and will send new hardware. I just ran to the hardware store though.
[signature]
Yeah, I think it is going to be a great help for me especially because I have a bad back and can't get around like I use to. I don't have to lay in the water.

My trailer sets back under my boat about 18" from the tram-sum hooks. I'm going to have to make a bracket to change the angle because it pulls to hard on the top of the buckle.

The review I read on the hardware was 3 years old. I would have thought by now they would have had the problem fixed.

Thanks for your input.
[signature]
KR, I put them on my Yacht Club trailer when I bought the boat in 2007. Have never regretted it. Since my boat is only a 14 ft. Lund, I got the buckles that have the rubber coated curved hooks that hook over the rear gunwales right where my transom meets the sides of the hull. I mounted them to my trailer right behind the trailer tail lights.

[inline "(84a)Buckle right rear.jpg"]

I did also buy better hardware to mount them because I needed bolts longer that what they came with to go thru the trailer frame. So I never had the bad bolt issues others have mentioned. No more lost straps, and I just spray some WD40 in the mechanism a couple times each season. They have worked perfectly for 11 years.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
you have to be careful with stainless steel hardware it does tend to stick .a little anti seize never hurts
[signature]