Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EyLayo wins ice challenge
I just want to take a minute to recognize EyLayo as the winner of this year's Ice Fishing Challenge. He didn't just win it, he won in just about every way of looking at it.

He ended with 11 points (low score wins) with:

#1 Panfish 13.5" black crappie
#2 Trout 25.5" cutthroat
#2 Bass 12" wiper
#4 Predator 21" lake trout
#2 Other 22.5" carp

He posted the most inches of fish, 199, though he could have easily busted 200--I saw him return bigger fish than he already had on the board without photographing them (by an oversight). Plus there was that brown that returned itself before he got his camera out.

He posted 13 species of fish and would have had 14 if that brown hadn't flopped so much. I wanted to win that category but always kept one species behind him. I figured that 10 would win because the highest in past years was 9. Be careful what goals you set: I got 10 for a tie for 3rd. Brighamfish, who won it all last year got 12 for 2nd place.

I had the pleasure of fishing with him several times. We first went to Holmes. I was looking to add a bass to my list. He caught two largemouth and I was blanked. Then we went to another little pond. He promptly caught two wipers like he was ordering them off the menu. I ended the contest with nary a bass though he tried to help me get some. On the last day we went to Mantua for one final shot. I still needed a green sunfish to fill out my panfish card. He caught two and I have yet to see one. And there was the night we went up to Pineview; I never caught a crappie while he was icing a number including two nice keepers. So this is why I think of him as being 2 times infinity better than me[Smile].

If you want to see the scoreboard you can find it on the Contest Board. If you go there you will see resting (not so) comfortably in 15th place out of 19 contenders.

Be sure to come to the Spring Flotilla to see the Ice Challenge awards. It will be around the first of May.

P.S. If you're wondering how to say his username it is "Hey, Lyle!" said with a Spanish accent. Something like "A lie-o".
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.