Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navonics
Iam looking for a navonics app. I am looking for opinions on what you guys use.
[signature]
https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#bo...BxbtFnuteT

this is free, book mark it. any lake you want

click on top tool bar to learn and buy app
[signature]
[quote icejunkie]Iam looking for a navonics app. I am looking for opinions on what you guys use.
.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]For your phone or your computer? I use the Navionics Boating HD Marines & Lakes on my android phone with great success on the ice. The app has an annual subscription cost of $4.99/year.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I also have the Navionics SD Card in my boat sonar. It costs $200 to buy (I got mine on sale for $170) and then an annual subscription cost of $100.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I don't have a need for it on my computer.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Depends on where you fish. We have 2 Navonics and Lakemaster. Happy with both for where we fish. You can go to each site and get a demo. But depending on where you fish one has better info meaning contours, features, submerged structures etc then other. All depends on where you fish with map chips.
[signature]
you won't believe this but my old SD card was over 3 yrs old had not been renewed
was looking at their site and found a new card for $49 and one year subscription
when it came it was like my other card but better with all the updates . so now I have two Navionics SD Cards, and a lake master plus card which works better with my humminbird fish finder
[signature]
I found a half-price SD card online for my handheld Garmin GPS. When it came, I discovered that it was an illegal pirated copy. No wonder it was cheap. It also didn't work properly. Lesson learned. I would NOT have ordered it if I had known it was pirated.
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I can't speak to the other brands because I only have the Navionics chip. But what I can tell you from my own experience is that the subscription gets you updates as often as you like during your subscription time frame. And the updates will include mapping contours from users who take the time to record their wanderings on bodies of water with no data, send that wandering data to Navionics, and see it published in future updates to subscribers.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I few years back, my Navionics data did not contain ANY contour data for Pineview. This year there are contour lines showing up for some areas of Pineview that didn't exist 2 or 3 years ago. The subscriber users are building up that data base slowly, but surely. I would guess that the other brands have similar programs in place. I am finding fewer places each year that I fish that don't show increased contour data. And that's a good thing regardless of which brand you use. [/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote dubob]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I few years back, my Navionics data did not contain ANY contour data for Pineview. This year there are contour lines showing up for some areas of Pineview that didn't exist 2 or 3 years ago. The subscriber users are building up that data base slowly, but surely. I would guess that the other brands have similar programs in place. I am finding fewer places each year that I fish that don't show increased contour data. And that's a good thing regardless of which brand you use. [/size][/font][/#800000][/quote]

Hey Bob, have you found that to be true on Willard, that subscribers are adding contour lines to that data base?
[signature]
Yes. On the Navionics site they are showing better contours for areas around Willard.

If you go on their site there is a map that you can zoom in and look around at what they have for each body of water.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]There are some contour lines showing up on Willard using my phone app, but not as many as I saw on Pineview. Most are along the east side and the south end south of the South Marina. The middle isn't showing anything. But then again, there isn't a whole lot of variance in depth out in the middle. I'll look for it when I next get out there with the latest upgrade from Navionics to my boat chip.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Here are some screen shots of what they are showing for Willard.
[signature]
Here is a link that will get you to the map so that you can check it out.
[signature]
Looks like you forgot the link, thanks for the screen shots.
[signature]
http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boa...q%7BFbgakT

zoom in or out
you may need to click on charts lower left
[signature]
Thanks Robert
[signature]
I use the Navionics boating App on my phone. I have been useing that soley for ice fishing the last three years. This year I updated it and all the contours changed. Specifically a certain spot I fished at pineview showed a countour change before and that's why we fished there. Now after the update there's no contour change. They must have told the fish too because they weren't there this year either.

also you have to ignore the depths that it says on it. I had never fished from the North east boat ramp at Mantua before. The app shows a big hole just south of the boat ramp. The app says 30+ ft deep. The helix says 11 ft. I moved around a bunch and couldn't get any big variance to prove there was a hole there. So I can't really say how accurate it is. But one thing I do like about it is you can mark your spot and go there again next time. That's the biggest deal for me.

I am up in Farr West. If you'd like to see the app I'd gladly show it to you. Even with the changing contours I still like it alot and think it's worth paying for.

Ryan
[signature]
[quote a_bow_nut]Here are some screen shots of what they are showing for Willard.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]My phone app doesn't show that much detail and it is less than 2 months old and up to date. Maybe I'll see that much detail when I upgrade my boat chip in a week or so. It's possible that Pineview and Mantua will be much more detailed on the boat chip as well. Thanks for the pictures. 👍[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Those Willard contour lines don't jive at all with what I think I know about Willard. One of us is wrong.
[signature]
[quote dubob][quote a_bow_nut]Here are some screen shots of what they are showing for Willard.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]My phone app doesn't show that much detail and it is less than 2 months old and up to date. Maybe I'll see that much detail when I upgrade my boat chip in a week or so. It's possible that Pineview and Mantua will be much more detailed on the boat chip as well. Thanks for the pictures. 👍[/size][/#800000][/font][/quote]

There are two modes you can look at. Make sure you look at the sonarchart That will have the contours people are uploading to the webapp and the phone if you have a subscription.

Lakes that don't have the traffic others do won't have anything.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Those Willard contour lines don't jive at all with what I think I know about Willard. One of us is wrong.[/quote]
I think the reason it does not look right is because it has limited data and the ap assumes that when there is a high spot or shallow spot, that it is an island instead of a point or underwater road. If someone recorded data between that one island that isn't there and the shore, you would be able to see that it is a shallow point, not an island. Now of course the island that is North from the South marina is there but it isn't round like it shows it is oblong.
[signature]