Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake/Bird Island insight
My buddy and I tried fishing bird island on Utah lake last week. The conditions were horrible and near impossible to fish cause of wind and rain. It was my first time there. Anyone care to share some insight on what to look for to target fish there? Just looking for someone who knows the structure and could shed some light.
Thanks
Gabe
[signature]
Bird Island is like a square, with long points running off each corner. The longest points run off the Southeast ( at least .25 mile) and Northeast (aprox. 150yds). The Northwest is the shortest ( 30yds) and the South west is about the same. These points are just under the surface, even whent he lake is at full pool. One of the deepest holes in the lake is just off he Northwest corner and at full pool would be about 18ft. Currently that hole would be around 10-12. It is not very big, maybe 16-20ft in diameter. The bottom between the points is rock rubble, like the visible island is. If you are fishing walleye, cast or troll grubs or cranks parallel to the long points. You can also use a bouncer presentation, but you will snag up alot. Catfish can be caught all around the island, just remember it is very shallow and you have to get 20+ yds off the visible portion of the island to get the deeper water ( 5-6ft). When you are motoing around the island be aware that the points are out there, just under the water and they extend out a LONG way.( I learned the hard way 30 yrs ago and took off the skeg of my outboard on the Southeast point )

I don't bother to run out to the island anymore, preferring to fish the flat on the northside of the point. If you run around to the west from Lincoln beach, you are on the north side of West Mtn. The lake slopes from 0 to 6-8ft, in 12" steps that are 3-400yds wide. This is lava that was pushed out from underground and formed a series of layers from the base of West Mtn. out to the mud basin of the lake. There are 3-4 of these steps and they are pretty clean bottom. Pull shallow cranks, spinner rigs, or grubs parallel to shore. You have to search which step is being used, but they are there. Sometimes the transition from the hard bottom to the muck will be where they will be hanging. If there is a big bug hatch going on, the transition will be where they are, feeding on the midges as they swimup to shed their pupal husk into adults. You can catch Walleye, Catfish, WB, LMB, etc on those flats. Have fun !!
I appreciate the info. Thank you
Gabe
[signature]
I have fished it many times for channel cats and white bass. I have had good luck on every side, except for the south side (others must do fine on that side also because I frequently see boats anchored up on that side).

I like to stop about two blocks away from it and use my Minn kota to move about 50-75 yards from the shore.
I do this because I have already spent too much money on getting my prop repaired from hitting it on the rocks out there. I like to move into one of the coves.

Once I anchor up (using the Minn Kota spot lock to do so) I will cast in all directions. If fishing for catfish, I usually fish using some type of bobber, because every time I fish on the bottom I often snag up. I will tip a hook (a weighted jig works great) with cut bait, or smaller whole minnows or with a whole large uncooked shrimp. If fishing for white bass I will typically cast some type of small silver spinner (no bait needed).

There are prop-eating rocks on all sides, but especially towards the southeast one must be extremely careful out for at least two blocks.
[signature]
Thanks for the headsup on the prop eating rocks.
Gabe
[signature]
If you look at the island on a topographic map site you can see just what is there. I use mytopo.com:

https://www.mytopo.com/maps/

Search for Bird Island, Utah. When you get to the map switch to satellite. Zoom in to see detail. We fished there a few times last year for catfish. We caught a few on the east side but had the best luck at the mouth of the "bay" that enters the island on the north. You will be in only 2-3 feet of water so you will be fishing shallow. Like Kent, I like to use a bobber to keep up out of the rocks. You can see on the satellite image that there are many rock monsters lurking just under the surface. If you are brave and experienced enough you can work your way quite a ways in. Be prepared to use paddles to work your way back off those rocks. Anchor up when you get in to a place where you are comfortable and cast toward the island, though you can find fish in any direction for that matter. Of course you can fish on the bottom, but be prepared to replace your rig when you get hung up once in a while. We had our best day in late June; four boys and three men on a barge took home 32 fish. That was for a big fish fry. Otherwise I usually release all my fish.

While looking at the satellite image be sure to note the long stinger that runs due southeast for a long distance. The guys I have gone with give it a wide berth to the east then come back around to the island.

Good luck and have fun.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig I remember that day very well. We boated over 50 fish that day and kept our limit of 32. Filleting took forever lol hopefully no more fish frys that large. I only did half while my neighbor cooked the whole fish in oil. Saved me some time but still. I would love to get on the fish again just like that with hopefully a few more larger ones.
[signature]
I have always done best on the south side. But I won't sit long in one spot if they aren't bitting. Several times when the fishing was slow from a boat, I have walked and fished the Island. Once, it was the S. W. Corner, as I was walking along fishing, I took one step and went over my head. But I loved to walk the willows in the far South flats also. And get down in and fish where a boat can't go.
It's been 10 years since I've been there. it will be fun seeing everyone at the flotilla.
Craig, what is the tent camping situation at LB now? When they first put a few actual paved camping spots there, I was the first one to use them. Is it first come or do you need reservations?
[signature]
Here's the skinny, from the Utah County Parks' website for Lincoln Beach:

Medium pavillion holds 80 people and rents for $30 for one four hour time slot (7-11am, 12-4pm, 5-9:30pm) or $50 for an entire day. There are also 8 individual overnight camping sites for $20 a day and are on a first come first serve basis.

Here's the URL for the site:

http://www.utahcountyonline.org/parks/Pa...asp?IDNO=9
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

So they haven't made any more camp spots. If I can find a dog friendly motel in Spanish Fork I'll probably do that. As I've driven by on the freeway through the years I've watched Spanish Fork blossom and now it seems from Smith and Edwards to Spanish Fork is one big city and creeping south daily.
[signature]
Funny thing is that with all the growth in Spanish Fork there still, I think, is just one motel in town. Try Springville instead. Or Provo; there are a number of older motels that might be more likely to allow pets. Good luck. Your other possibility is to rough it in the area around Lincoln Point. The county recently purchased 17 acres there and you could probably find a "primitive" spot somewhere. TD would probably know as well as anyone where a good spot might be found. Hope this helps.
[signature]

I booked a room in Springville, but there were VERY few left for that Friday night. They all run $120 to $130 a night. There are more rooms at lower rates in Lehi, 15 miles south.
[signature]
Primitive will work fine. Thanks, I'll plan on that. Now day's, a lot of nice motels are dog friendly, because they get to charge the dog fee. I broke down on the freeway one time and got towed to Provo and stayed there in a real nice place.
I'd rather be at LB though.
[signature]
[#0000FF]There are signs around Lincoln Beach that no camping is allowed except in the designated (paid) spots. All of that new area taken over by Utah County is still pretty rough and unimproved. They have taken down the fences but the roads are nasty and there really aren't any spots suitable for camping.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]There are quite a few motels in south Provo and Springville.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Also a motel in Payson which might be as close to Lincoln as SF or Springville.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Is that the one with wood-burning microwave ovens and black and white TV?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
They have TV's now!
[signature]
I-15 Exit 260 there is a Days Inn and a Microtel Inn. And LB is pretty much due west-ish from there.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Beg pardon??... sure nuff color tv, modern heat, and... a pool -- could be used for casting practice the night before flotilla.[fishon]
[signature]
[quote Boatloadakids]Beg pardon??... sure nuff color tv, modern heat, and... a pool -- could be used for casting practice the night before flotilla.[Image: fish-on.gif][/quote]

[#0000FF]Is this the "well-stocked pond" you have been telling me about?[/#0000FF]
[signature]