Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington North - Ice Off
I had heard that most of the ice had come off so I took my tube and fly rod to check it out. I launched at the State Park ramp and fished the southeast side of the lake from 9:30 until 12:00 when the wind came up and moved the remaining ice in my direction. I only managed one 14" rainbow and a couple of other light hits. I had to get out at a different location than the ramp because the ice had it blocked off.

I drove over to the southwest access to the reservoir and launched at 12:30 and fished until 2:00 when the wind finally got to me. I picked up one 20" rainbow, one of last years brood stock that were planted, and that was the only hit I had over there.

The reservoir is almost full and by the time I left it was almost ice free. The water temperature was 41-43 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 8'.

It was a slow day but it was nice to be able to fish a little closer to home.[Smile]
[signature]
Nicely done....good pics and a good report..tks...
[signature]
Thanks for the report Tom. I thought the ice was already gone from HNR. I need to run my new 8 HP kicker motor and I planned to go over there on Tuesday if the weather is decent. I guess I'll be able to launch my boat without any difficulty.

Time to put the ice gear away for the summer.

Mike
[signature]
[quote TopH2O]Thanks for the report Tom. I thought the ice was already gone from HNR. I need to run my new 8 HP kicker motor and I planned to go over there on Tuesday if the weather is decent. I guess I'll be able to launch my boat without any difficulty.
Mike[/quote]

Hey, Mike. There was some ice piled up on the west side of the ramp but I'm sure it will be gone by Tuesday.

Get some time on the new motor before the ice comes off Starvation and the walleye wake up.[Wink]
[signature]
That is my plan. The new motor requires a 2 hour break in at varying speeds so I thought Huntington North would be a perfect place. I can even try some actual trolling although I can't let anybody see me doing it. [Wink]

Mike
[signature]
Got to love the loons, I love listening to them when I go home to Northern Wis.
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]Got to love the loons, I love listening to them when I go home to Northern Wis.[/quote]

We never used to have them here but they started showing up a few years ago. They must just migrate through here because I only see them in the early spring and then again late in the fall.

They are neat birds and I'm like you, love to hear them.[Smile]
[signature]