Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report 3/30
I took my oldest and youngest boys up to the berry this morning. My 6 year old was super excited to go and got right out of bed.
We stopped to get a quick breakfast and then up we went.
We walked out to the spot I intended to fish and then realized that I forgot the auger. How does that happen???
We made a long trek over to a group and asked if they could cut some holes for us. Awesome guys and they were more than willing to help.
We had a great time. Caught probably 20 and lost a bunch more on the way to the hole. Orange glow paddle bug and white glow curly tail did the best but we also caught fish on white and chartreuse jigs. The fish wanted wax and meal worms early and then switched to earthworms.
Super big thanks to our ice auger angels. They really helped me and my boys to make some great memories.
There was plenty of ice and no slush. No wind and just a great day to be out.
[signature]
I made my first venture to Strawberry this year as well. Did very good, caught 33 in 4 hours, 3 over the slot, only 1 rainbow. Had quite the workout climbing the hill on the way out in crotch deep snow! Maniac vertigo head, white with red fleck gazilla with wax worm worked the best for me; then a neon chartreuse tungsten ice fly worked well. Initially 34 FOW, catching was at 15'; then moved in to 20 FOW and couldn't keep the fish off! They were aggressive! Beautiful Day!
[signature]
Thats a cool story about the help you got. I went there a few weeks ago and one of my auger blade bolts busted off about half way through my first hole attempt. I Macgivered a way to keep the blade on until I punched through, but it took about 20 minutes then broke again. Had I not been able to make it work, I was going to call the marina and see if they would bring me an auger. I know they will drive you out on the ice, and then come pick you up, so why not bring me an auger?

Also, about an hour after drilling my hole, a group of scouts came onto the ice and were kind enough to let me borrow an auger to drill another hole. Usually people are very kind and helpful, but it’s always nice to hear stories.

Gaetz
[signature]
Any chance this awesome fishing took place near the Ladders?
[signature]
I parked 1 mile South of the Ladders and then walked another mile South. There were several people fishing by the ladders, it appeared that some were fishing the open water at the ladders also.

Good luck.
[signature]
Great report, I’m glad you got the boys out for a great memory. Thanks J
[signature]
I've come to realize that 99% of people in this world are good people. Now, if they are fishermen, that percentage jumps to 100%!
Similar story for my group a few weeks ago at Lake Hattie in Laramie.
First hole we drilled we hit a rock embedded in the ice about 8 inches down. We thought it was just really hard ice. Totally destroyed the 3 blades on my ION.
Called around in Laramie and Cheyenne for replacement blades with no luck. At this point I'm freaking out; we are 6 hours from home.
Jumped on google and discovered a knife sharpening service 30 miles away from Hattie.
Drove out there - It ended up being on a huge ranch. The lady who was the craftsman had never done auger blades but was willing to try. This 80 year old retired, amazing, auger blade angel sharpened those suckers back up almost new! I asked how much she wanted for her weekend saving skill. She asked for $5. I gladly gave her $20 and hit the road back to Hattie.
Those blades lasted for 3 days of >24" ice.
Needless to say, I now have 2 brand new sets of blades.
Cheers to the 99%!!
[signature]
Hey DB,
Totally forgot to ask about the road to the marina. Is it still closed?
Thanks,
Andy
[signature]
We didn’t fish the marina so I don’t know if the road is still closed.
[signature]