Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ling/Burbot
I took a stab at catching a ling at Big Sandy Res. Friday night. No luck. After a couple hours I got too cold and left. When I got there a guy was leaving with one ling. I've read a little about catching lings on the web. I am not sure that the tactics that work in Canada and Alaska work in Wyoming. Does anyone have any advice for me on catching them locally? From what I've read, they are easiest to catch in late February and March. They are most active at night. And they orient to simular structure as Lake Trout. Then on the other hand the guy who had caught one Friday got it in 12 feet of water. On a side note, the lings were illegally planted in the Big Sandy. I've heard that they have already been found in the Flaming Gorge. Has anyone else heard this?
[signature]
I know a thing or two about salt water lings. They spawn from march-april, stick to the rockiest structure they can find, and go to the deepest part of the bottom possible. Also, they eat fish. How big are these fresh water lings? If their anywhere near the size of normal lings, I'd sugest using half a dead perch on a 1oz. jig, fished in the deepest rockiest water in the lake.
[signature]
pink floyd rocks !

[size 1]Did a little investigating on these Burbot. And found out 20 pounders are common up in the Northwest Territories. So I would say they get pretty big if given the chance.The Burbot is a freshwater cod. It is the only cod species to live in freshwater. You will only catch them (for the most part) during the winter when they come to shallower water for spawning. They prefer very cold water, so with the exception of spawning, they are out in very deep water. Their primarary diet is other fish, and they prefer to feed at night. If you want to try fishing for them, they are suckers for glow in the dark lures. And we have been catching them on the glow jigging rapala (white/chartreuse nose) pretty consistently at the base off the drop-offs.

I have talked with die-hard burbot jiggers before and they swear by chartruese or organge glow sticks attached to line an inch or two above a glow jig... tip the jig with dead smelt for best results... fish on/near bottom just after dark... sometimes even late at night, like 10pm-12am... down by us grand traverse bay has a small, but hardy following of burbot jiggers... we are soon to be among them,Maybe I'll try to get on the pro burbot circuit if I have any luck. [/size]

[size 1]Right after you catch one, whack it over the head a few times and lay it on it's side. They are easier to clean if they are partly frozen. Hitting them over the head will let them freeze in a straight line. They'll freeze in a curled up position if you don't kill them first. To clean them cut the skin around the head and pull with a pliers.then I start behind the head and cut from the top down to the rib cage, then follow the rib cage to the end of it, then poke the knife through the bottom and follow the spine to the tail. Then go back and cut just above the rib cage to get the front of the fillet off. (just like tenderloins on a deer). Very easy to clean and they are very good eating.Of course you have to gut them too.And the fins come out with a pull of the pliers too.Very firm meaty fish.

A friend of mine boils his and prepares and serves it much like lobster, with hot melted butter.

i really liked them made in to a patty. Fillet it like you normally would and peel raw potatoes in the same amount as fish, grind both of them and combine, add as much onion as you would like for personal taste, add a couple of eggs and enough bread crumbs as needed to hold everything together. Make into patties and fry in hot oil. This makes an excellent fish patty [/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. The state record in Wyoming is just under 20 lbs. How deep of water would be the best this time of year? I was fishing in 35 feet. Would it be better in 10 to 20 feet of water? I was fishing within 100 yards of the main channel by the dam. I was on the flats, but probably not on the edge of a drop off. Is jigging for them better than just putting bait on the bottom like catfishing? I've read that they feed directly off the bottom and that the bite is very slow and light. Thanks again for the info. I'll probably give it another try this week.
[signature]
the smaller ones hit the drop offs and flats first while the bigger ones hang deep for a while .

the key to getting the big guys is to stay out a bit longer . a 3 a.m. quitting time is about the norn over this way .

now they are a squirmy type of fish , they will wrap themselves around your arm and not let go . gloves with a good grip are advised for pulling them off .
[signature]
What do these fish look like? Where are they located. I have never heard of them.
[signature]

Here are some pictures I borrowed off the Internet. If I manage to catch one I'll post a picture. They are located in several lakes and rivers in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana as well as in the great lakes and in other northern states. Alaska and Canada are teaming with them. Specifically they are in The Big Sandy Res. (WY) and in Clark Canyon Reservoir (Montana).
[signature]
Hey thanks for posting those pictures. They are interesting looking and they must be pretty hard to catch from what I have read. Hope you get one so we can see it up close and personal.
[signature]
is there a good population of them there now? im really surprised to see them survive in any water here in utah.
[signature]