Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber River 04/13
I went out with my fly fishing class on the Weber this morning. Caught my first ever "real" (the rest have all been little tiny guys) fish on a fly rod, as well as my first ever white fish! Couldn't have been more thrilled. I caught 2 on a beaded prince nymph, and 1 on a SowBug. Pictured is the first, and the largest.
[signature]
Congrats! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
That's a great setup for the Weber.I do recommend using a beadhead flashbacks pheasant tail.I use that pattern year round on that river and do get well.just make sure you use weight to get it to the bottom
[signature]
I'm thrilled for you--nothing like a first to make you happy. Whitefish of any kind are still on my bucket list.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nice work!! Always enjoy hearing and seeing people get excited about fishing. Good for you taking a class to better your abilities. Keep up the good work. Zebra Midge is another go to for me on the Weber and many of the rivers around us.
[signature]
My favorite childhood river of all time for sure...WTG! Going to be running insane here for quite some time with the run off.
[signature]
Thanks for all the advice on flies. I'll be sure to get those in my box! Fly fishing has long been a dream of mine. I was certain that with YouTube i could teach myself......a rather humbling experience. It is somewhat depressing that runoff is coming right as i learn how to fish properly, but at least I'll be well equipped for the future.
[signature]
Don't let the run off scare ya. Go with bigger bugs during that time. Works, beadhead prince nymph, stone fly nymp. The fish are still eating if you can read the water and find the slower pockets next to quicker riffles. Fish the seams. Also, don't be afraid of fishing the still Waters. Going to lakes this time of year either nymphing, dry fly and streamers can produce. Plus, it gives you more casting practice and time on the water.
[signature]
What runoff? Seriously there are plenty of tailwaters that you can always find streams to fly fish in Utah 365 days a year. Isn’t that why we spend a billion dollars a pop on these big dams in the first place[Wink]. Between the Provo, Weber, Green and Strawberry there is almost alway descent fly fishing during the runoff in Northern Utah. On top of that if doesn’t bother you to target prespawn or spawning cutthroats they seek out the same side channels to spawn year after year despite the main river being totally blown out. This is true in the whole range of cutthroats where those side channels exist. It’s great sight fishing for lunkers while everyone else is moaning about runoff. My favorites are on the upper Provo and North Fork of the Shoshone between Yellowstone and Cody. Sorry you’re going to have to put in the leg work to find spots for yourself. Prespawn is best as they do hit dries readily - usually I’ll fish caddis flies as they’ll typically be hatching. Plenty of other places to fish during runoff if you like smaller streams with big fish. Besides some of the streams already mentioned that are associated with the half century of the CUWP- go look at the map on page 3 on this link that has all the stream associated with its Bonneville Unit. Most can be good spots to fish during runoff.
http://www.slcdocs.com/utilities/PDF%20Files/cup2a.pdf
Most have USGS gauges so when you learn what various flows mean for fishing the streams you can check levels online. Then you know where to go where fishing is likely to be good.
[signature]
What parts of the Weber are fishable right now during runoff? It seems un fishavle to me with it raging...
Thanks.
[signature]