Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downrigger recommendations
Just upgraded to a new boat. I had manual Downriggers on my old boat and want to put electric on the new one. I know that some swear by Scotty, others like Cannon and still others like Walker or Big Jon. I hope this isn’t one of those Ford vs Chevy kind of debates but I would appreciate your expertise on this issue. Thanks for your help.
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I had Cannon on my last boat for 11 years (Mag 5 and Mag 10). A friend uses Scotty's on his boat so when I ordered my new boat in 2017, I put 4 Scotty's on it. Used them for the entire first season. Sold all 4 and went back to Cannon Mag 5 (2 ea) and Mag 10 (2 ea). The Scottys worked fine on my boat, but after 11 years with Cannon, I couldn't adjust to the differences.

I have a good friend in Michigan that has used Big Jons for years. He told me several years ago that the company was bought up and the customer service went to Hell in a handbasket. The charter boat captains back there are very upset with the company. [/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
2019 Cannon Downrigger Promotions
https://www.cannondownriggers.com/detail.aspx?id=187

I would buy cannon because of the Positive Ion Control
[signature]
Thanks for your advice. As always very useful and informed
[signature]
i like my cannons . i think the design is mush better than the scotty's . i'm sure the scotty guys love theirs though .
[signature]
Had cannon digi trolls iv. Circuit boards broke on both units after 12 years. Bottom tracking is overrated I think. Is it nice yes. Does it cause headaches if you do long setbacks and have the bottom come up quick and then goes back down quick....like at the gorge is done places, yes. We now have 4 scotty's. I don't like how the scotty's don't have a soft stop. Kind of jerky. Scotty's half the price of digi trolls. I actually like both brands, but was telling you the negatives of both. Both brands are good units overall. [fishon]
[signature]
If you need to buy parts for downriggers are Minn Kota

this is a good place. click on parts and repair, they have good Manuals to see part breakdowns
https://www.fish307.com/
[signature]
I'm probably the freak on the site, but I use a Walker and I like it, but I haven't used the others so I can't compare... It was an affordability deal for me, the Walkers were cheaper and I didn't have the money to spend more at the time and it sure beats the heck out of my manual ones... The only thing I don't like is it seems like it goes too fast to me, but when you're down deep that's actually pretty nice... Other little gripe is the depth meter keeps creeping a little so you have to reset it occasionally to keep it close to actual depth... Other than that I really like it... Later J
[signature]
I have 2 of the Cannon Digi-Troll V. Love them. Easy to teach others how to use the basic functions, and are relatively trouble free.
[fishon]
[signature]
I have a small 16 foot Alumaweld. So I lilke the Scottys since they have a lower profile. I personally like the auto shut off switch which is NOT electronic. I haven't used Cannons or Big Jons so I have no opinion of them.
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The best price I found for the Cannons is at Hodges Marine out of Florida. They have free shipping. I bought my Scotty's and latest Cannons from them. Very easy company to deal with and they also have parts and accessories.

Cannon Mag 5 ST ($376.53): https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Cannon-Mag-...902300.htm

Cannon Mag 10 ST ($528.93) https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Cannon-Mag-...902305.htm

Scotty 1101 ($468.24) https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Scotty-1101...co1101.htm

The positive ion control on the Cannon Mag 5/Mag 10 is factory set at 0.60 volts and is non-adjustable. The Digi-Troll models have adjustable ion control. Scotty doesn't have it at all that I'm aware of.[/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks so much for your comments and the links to vendors. This has been extremely helpful.
[signature]
Similar to what dubob was saying I've used Walker DR's for 10yrs. When I bought the current boat I have it came with a pair of Scotty 1106 DR's. I used them for a while but didn't like adjusting to them to well. So I sold them and went back to Walkers. Once you get use to something its hard to change. Most of us have used the different downriggers brands(electrics & manuals) I don't really have anything against their operation. I am partial to electrics. [Wink]
[signature]